Thread: Lung cancer/ lung problem TERRIFIED pain in back

Question Lung cancer/ lung problem TERRIFIED pain in back

Hi everyone I haven’t posted for a while. I’ve had a cough since Christmas Eve I thought it was just a general bug as everyone seemed unwell when it didn’t clear I went to the doctors and got given antibiotics and steroids. They didn’t help and after 2 weeks I went back. I got given more antibiotics and steroids. Now 5 eeeks later it still is no better I went to out of hours this morning (I’m in Scotland) and the doctor was awful he said my lungs sounded “pretty clear” and says I should go to my gp to have further investigations and an X-ray. I told him I was concerned as didn’t know what it was he said things that cause a chronic cough are asthma copd reflux and cancer I couldn’t believe he said it so casually. I explained that by him saying that it had made me feel terrified to which he replied I am not saying that you DO have cancer! I now feel like I have gone into a complete panic. I know that anxiety can cause a cough etc but it Defo isn’t that it’s waking me up through the night I also have a pain in my back around my left lung area.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this? I’m not one who is terrified of everything and asks for every little thing but this is really a major thing to me and I’m so scared.

Re: Lung cancer/ lung problem TERRIFIED pain in back

Yes, I have experienced something like that. I developed persistent cough in Oct 2015. With every little virus, I would cough for months after, with a little wheezing. Steroids and inhalers did help.

THen, the next February, I got this killer pain in my back with every breath, but it went away after a two or three days. I had a docs appointment scheduled and mentioned it, and she sent me for a CT because bloodwork suggested I was at risk for a blood clot in my lung. The CT showed I was absolutely fine, no clot, no cancer, no oddities, and no explanation for the pain (I got a similar one, only in the front, a couple months ago. THey didn't bother testing it this time.

All during the year- Oct 15- Nov 16- I would get coughs that lasted months. Finally, I said I wanted to know what's the problem, and I can't believe I had to push, but they finally started testing me. I had a second clear xray in Oct-ish and then also a normal spirometry, but they me to a pulmonologist. He determined I have asthma, which is why I was coughing so much (basically 8 months out of that year). I am on an inhaler daily now. My cough has been much better, but I feel like I am in a flare up right now. I got the flu in January, and everyone in the family is bringing home bugs left and right.

So...that was a very long winded way of saying, yes, I DO have experience with this. It is scary to go through, and flare ups make me wonder if something has been missed. But, I read only like 2% of persistent coughs are from cancer...so...a persistent cough is much likelier to be something else.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Oh, but go to the doctor if you have a sharp pain in your back. They want to rule out a clot with that, which starts with the blood test I mentioned.

Thank you so much for your reply I really really appreciate it. Hate when u post and everyone reads and no one reply’s. This is just been constant for the last 3 months. I did have childhood asthma but it went away and I’ve had no problems as an adult. I had it very mild as a child. I’m pretty sure it isn’t a clot I’ve had it too long! I’m just concerned of what this pain may be? And also a pain round my lung and the cough leads me to think the absolute worse! I can’t even google the signs or lung cancer as I’m too scared I can’t bear to hear any stories of anyone with it either. I honestly am a “normal” person this is just something that’s playing havoc with me at the moment x

Yes from me too, had a virus back in September last year which wouldn't settle! Three lots of antibiotics later, the virus had cleared but I still got reoccurence of sore throat plus the cough. It didn't clear up 4 months.

I asked for an X-ray as hadn't had one for many years and it was clear.
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 04-03-18 at 22:40.

How long did u have a cough for?

Quote Originally Posted by Fee88 View Post
    How long did u have a cough for?
    4 months

Thread Information