Thread: Advice on starting sertraline

Advice on starting sertraline

Hi. I am very reluctant to take meds’ but I am at the point where I am just going to have to give in and go to the docs and ask for help with my anxiety as lately I have just been ridiculous.

I am thinking of asking for sertraline (it seems to be the first choice of many gps) but I am scared of the side effects and that it will make me feel worse initially. Not sure if I can cope with that and I still need to be able to function and go to work. I am also worried about weight gain as I took mirtazipine before and started piling the weight on.

My past record with meds hasn’t been very good. I am uncomfortable with taking them so tend to take them for as little a period as possible and I’m not really sure they had that much of an affect on me anyway but I need to try. I have taken seroxat, about 20 years ago, duloxetine, amitriptyline and mirtazipine over the years. Tbh I preferred amitriptyline but not sure if it’s even prescribed any more for anxiety.

I need help so, without scaring me, what’s sertraline like to start with.

Thank you.

Re: Advice on starting sertraline

The mindset you need to go in with is, this is a necessary part of the healing process. Don't go in thinking about possible side effects. Not everyone has the same side effects and some people have very mild side effects. Your side effects may include an increase in feelings of anxiety as you adjust to the meds. The idea is to allow these feelings to come through. I thought of it as my body purging these feelings as it starts to heal or suppress them. Think in terms of the outcome you expect and not what you have to go through to get there. Keep moving forward and understand that there could be side effects, but it doesn't mean they will be severe. If they do happen, remember that this too shall pass and focus on the day they are gone.

Re: Advice on starting sertraline

Thank you.

Thread Information