Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make new friends?

Re: How to make new friends?

Oh and I must be the saddest 38 yr old about lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jen84 View Post
    PM me if you want maybe we (and Laura) should form a group - Saddest 22/23years olds!! Just kidding we're great!!

Jen
    Lol!! Personally I think it would be rather a funky group
    Whereabouts you from Jen?
    PM me if you like Lets form our "special" group! haha!

Laura xxxx

Smile it freaks people out

The one of the worst things about anxiety/PA, apart from the symptoms of course. If your symptoms aren't so bad as to stop you working and going out it's obviously easier, it's when you can't go out to dinner, visit etc because of your symptoms that's it's really hard.

I had to give up work because of my PA's and moved back down from London closer to "home". I now have a few web sites and work from home, but sometimes think of the friends I may never see again which is sad. Making new friends is pretty much impossible as I don't know how I'm going to feel, sometimes hour to hour never mind in days time. So meeting people to become friends with is unlikely.

Hope you find some as it can be a lonely life being a PA sufferer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen84 View Post
    Hi Star

I could have written that post myself, I'm in the same position as you, seeing my friends facebook pics etc. It actually makes things worse, i do have a few close friends which is lovely but i do understand. I dont really have any suggestions as Im struggling as well but I wanted to let you know you're not alone. PM me if you want maybe we (and Laura) should form a group - Saddest 22/23years olds!! Just kidding we're great!!

Jen

I know - i was just looking at all my old school friend's pics on facebook - they've all been to uni and look so happy, its just depressing to see people having fun and doing 'normal' 20's stuff while i'm too afraid to do the same...

hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by lucy0927 View Post
    I too could have written that post about me (apart from the fact i'm 25!), I have 1 or 2 close friends, a few colleagues at work that I get on with but apart from that I don't speak to any of my old friends from school. I put it down to the fact that I'm terrible at keeping in touch and I just lose common interests with people. Again I registered on facebook recently and saw all my old friends with lots of people they knew on their profile while mine is pretty low on the friends count. It made me feel very sad and pretty low for a few days but then I realised it was just who I am.

I don't make friends easily but them that take the time to get to know me and who stick around are the ones worth knowing.

I'd love to join a social group and it's something that I think I'm seriously going to look into. I'm tempted to start a night class or something else and I'm going to give it serious thought if nothing else to get me out of a routine and out the house.

Remember it's not how many friends you have, it's the 1 or 2 close friends you have that really count - surely that's all we need anyway!

I have one close friend - who lives about 2 and a half hours from me :( i find it very hard to trust my old friends cos i know they all know my 'problem' and i dread to think what they really think of me... hmm...

I'd love to join a social group too but its the going there thats the trouble. the fact that i havent got anyone to go with... uhm..hmmm.. Its hard to find any kind of social groups near me, there was one that had a membership fee and i cant really afford to pay it and then decided i dont want to go...

its a very 'GAH!!!!!' day today....

Hi Star,

I'm going to join the club as Im 24 and have only 1 close friend who lives about 2 and a half hours from me too!

When I was at uni it was hard to look at all the other students out having a good time. I've always been a quiet person and although I'm happy with my own company it's nice to have some companionship too. At least this thread shows we're not the only ones so I think a group hug is in order!

Take care,

Mike

Hi

I must be the most saddest and boring 30 year old then.

I hate looking at facebook , friendsreunited, seeing your old class mates having a real fun time, etc, and finding out that they are married, having kids etc etc.

I have 2 friends from school, but I think I have scared them away, because they have invited me out a quite a few times, unfortunately I declined, every time and made excuses plus I had no money. Once of my friends had a hen party recently, but I couldn't go because it was a pamper weekend, and going out on the town, I couldn't really afford it and I only knew 2 people(the person whos hen party is 1 of the people) who was going.

I wrote my friend an email asking a question and I never got an answer back, so I guess they are cheesed off with me.

Also I have no self confidence whats so ever, I can't really strike up a conversation with people first, etc the list goes on. I don't like being in a room with lots of people, because I keep thinking they might be talking about you and I would not know what to say(if you see what I mean, daft things like that).

At the moment I prefer to stay indoors rather going out on the town(if I had the money to do so). What doen't help my brother has got loads and loads of friends, I just get so jelous.

shygirlajb

Hi Shygirlajb, must say i have a similar in the respect to groups of people(don't like large groups). I have more of an issue with keeping a conversation going rather than starting it though.

But recently i joined myspace and have lots of new and old friends to talk to. Even some off this site, some i've met through my anxiety groups as well, the thing you have to do is put yourself out there. I know its hard, but its definately worth it.

Stuart

I have no friends! This is the only place on earth I am willing to admit this. I have even lost a lot of my net friends! So I win in the sad stakes. My friends are basically my family and some net friends that's it.

Hi stu1980

I think I am no good at making conversation full stop, as I would not know what to talk about(if you see what I mean).

For instance, I went to my nephews 4th birthday party, a couple of months back, there was quite a lot of people there, obviously if someone spoke to me first I would answer them back, but it would be like one word answer, I spent most of the day either talking to my mum or just in a corner (bit of a sad thing to do, but I can't really help it).

Another sad thing really, I don't really want to get married, because I don't really have any friends so it would be mostly family, and I am afraid that people might not turn up. I know it is daft but I can't really help it. My partner has not asked for a while anyhow.

ajb135

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information