Thread: Heart anxiety leading to heart attack symptoms

Unhappy Heart anxiety leading to heart attack symptoms

Hello everyone. I am new here, so thank you for listening. For almost 12 years I have been convinced that there is something wrong with my heart. I have had numerous EKGs, 2 nuclear stress tests, a one month monitor (twice), an over night stay in the hospital, etc. The last stress test was 2 years ago, and the last EKG was 2 months ago. For the past 4 months I have had chest pains, jaw and neck pain. Of course every internet entry tells me “hear attack.” I just cannot believe my doctor and cardiologist when they say my heart is fine. In my mind, physical symptoms mean big problem. How can I trust my doctors? How do I overcome this fear? (And this fear was multiplied when my dad passed away suddenly 5 years ago from an undiagnosed heart attack). Now I live in daily fear that they have somehow missed my heart problem.

Re: Heart anxiety leading to heart attack symptoms

I’m sorry about your dad. :(

Your anxiety is unfortunately being fueled by that past trauma, which is entirely understandable and a very common reaction.

You’ve had these symptoms for years, if there was a problem with your heart something would have come of it by now. The fact that it’s ongoing is proof positive that your symptoms are due to anxiety. Plus the Drs would have picked up on something by now if there was anything to pick up on.

The best thing you can do is stop chasing a diagnoses for a condition that you simply don’t have, and start seeking treatment for the anxiety disorder that you do have.

Your anxiety about a condition can definitely manifest symptoms related to that condition. Don’t underestimate it or think it’s not real and “I must be sick” because psychosomatic symptoms are real. You ARE really feeling these pains. But they’re entirely created by the mind and your nervous system not by a medical condition.

I HIGHLY recommend a book called The Divided Mind by Dr John Sarno. I was completely unbelieving that the mind could do this until this doctor explained how it’s done. And he stressed that the symptoms are real, we are not going crazy. We feel everything we are complaining about. But there is no organic cause. He has treated many people with this condition.

Anxiety will convince you your worst fear is more than a thought.

The fact is you have had many tests for your heart and nothing has been found. I’m sorry about your father, do you know if he had the extensive heart testing that you’ve had?
    Do it afraid. All fear is but the notion that God's love ends. "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy." Psalm 94:19

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you so much everyone. I am ordering the book that you suggested. This anxiety manifests in such weird ways all the time. My chest and neck/jaw feel fine when I first wake up. But within an hour, after I've been thinking about it a lot, here come the symptoms. My doctor reassures me that a heart attack will not last for 3 months. So, do I listen? Nope. Instead I search google for stories about people have months long heart attacks, or false ECGs. ughhh!! My dad had tests the day before he died and they couldn't find anything. However, he had heart issues that doctors tell me that I don't have. I am trying to keep a journal everytime a doctor tells me it is not my heart, so I can read it when my mind is racing. But it doesn't help too much. I appreciate your help and support!!

Thread Information