Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: UTI or bladder cancer?

UTI or bladder cancer?

I went to the nurse because I was having constant pressure and need to pee but no pain or stinging on urination. She tested my sample and it has blood and protein but she didn't say if it had bacteria so I am completely freaking out that I have bladder cancer, especially as I have been having random pelvic pain for a while. She has given me antibiotics and will send the sample off for analysis. I don't know what to do with myself I've gone into full on meltdown. I just need some tips to calm down.

Re: UTI or bladder cancer?

Not sure how you have jumped to the conclusion it is cancer without thinking of just a good old UTI first which is the most likely scenario.

See what happens now you take the antibiotics.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Probably because I know from reading other people's posts on here that blood with no infection is a sign of bladder cancer, and she said blood and protein but didn't day bacteria so I'm thinking there was no infection. But to be fair I do have uti symptoms. It comes on top of a week of meltdown about cervical cancer, I can't stop crying at the thought of my kids growing up without me, it's ridiculous, I really hate myself sometimes.

I think by giving you antibiotics, the infection was implied.

Quote Originally Posted by cattia View Post
    I can't stop crying at the thought of my kids growing up without me, it's ridiculous, I really hate myself sometimes.
    Hi Cattia,

My goodness, you've really been through it! From your very first post too!

I do hope you find some peace with the dragon. He's been breathing fire down your neck for a very long time.

Peace and as always...

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks guys. Fishman I am now in counselling, not been going long but I consider it to be a long term project! Honestly before I was on this board I was on others. I know I have to try to crack this one way or another but when it kicks in it's hard to escape.

Probably because I know from reading other people's posts on here that blood with no infection is a sign of bladder cancer, and she said blood and protein but didn't day bacteria so I'm thinking there was no infection. But to be fair I do have uti symptoms. It comes on top of a week of meltdown about cervical cancer, I can't stop crying at the thought of my kids growing up without me, it's ridiculous, I really hate myself sometimes.
    No-one has been diagnosed with bladder cancer that I know of.

I have blood in urine and no infection caused by kidney stones.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks Nicola, I know a couple of people have had scares so talked about the symptoms but you're right, I haven't read of anyone actually being diagnosed. I have ghe antibiotics now and have taken the first one. I've got a lot of dull lower abdominal pain so maybe that does indicate infection, I hope so!

Oh Cattia- I’m so sorry you are having a rough time at the moment. Health anxiety can be so cruel and relentless. Firstly, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY you have bladder cancer. For our age group it has a rate of just over 1 per 100,000. That means it is extremely rare. Also infection causes both blood and protein in the urine. Simple urine dipsticks don’t detect bacteria.... that would involve a lab test. So all the evidence points to an infection. None of the evidence points to cancer. Hang in there. This fear will pass
    Xxx

Thanks Nicola, I know a couple of people have had scares so talked about the symptoms but you're right, I haven't read of anyone actually being diagnosed. I have ghe antibiotics now and have taken the first one. I've got a lot of dull lower abdominal pain so maybe that does indicate infection, I hope so!
    The nurse would know more about the possibilities of bladder cancer than posters on here and she would also know the many other possibilities, including infections, and posters here will be focusing on their fear whilst lacking objectivity.

If the nurse suspected cancer you would be fast tracked for testing. I suspect she would have had to ask a GP at the surgery too about the course of action. The lack of any of this suggests she isn't concerned so see if you feel better in a few days from the antibiotics which certainly wouldn't work on cancer (if they don't that still doesn't imply cancer, just more treatment needed).

I'm sure you know all this but your subconscious is giving you a real kicking and you are struggling with how this makes you feel. Try to distract yourself from periods of too much thinking time. Reduce time where you can focus on feeling unwell. Our focus on any symptom definitely makes them feel worse, I've always found this, and there is relied to be had in shifting your focus slightly away.

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information