Thread: Magnesium and Vitamin D

Magnesium and Vitamin D

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing ok. I had to jump on her immediately to post this. I am not a frequent poster but have jumped on a few times to ask for advice on medication and just to vent in general - this is a great forum, a great network of support which is just lovely to see.

My back story: suffering from GAD/HA and recently diagnosed with OCD, which made sense. I always knew it was a bit more than anxiety. I have had so many physical symptoms over the years - tingling scalp/body parts, creepy/weak feelings in my legs and arms, zoning out, panic attacks, shakiness, twitching, headaches, heart flutters, EVERYTHING. I tried medication on and off over the heads, I recently took citalopram again for 2 weeks but then broke out in hives and have since been scared to take anymore.

I was at my wits end yesterday, and I started googling. I’m not sure what brought me to it, but I ended up reading a post on another forum about a man that took magnesium and vitamin d for his anxiety and OCD and he felt better within a day - he even came back on the forum a year later to give an update, saying his anxiety has practically vanished. Desperate, I went to a local naturopathy store and purchased a vitamin d3 mouth spray and magnesium citrate tablets. I thought I’d leave it until I got home to take them to have with a meal in case I got any queasiness. I was so anxious yesterday I cried coming home from work, I really felt like I was in such a place of despair.

I took two magnesium tablets and one spray with dinner, then did some gently yoga and got an early night.

It’s important to note that every morning I wake up I feel exhausted, as though I haven’t slept. Well not this morning! I noticed a significant improvement in my energy levels since I got up this morning. I went to work, still feeling slightly anxious but nowhere near as bad as yesterday. I decided to split the magnesium tablets up today so took one during my morning break at work then again with dinner (as yesterday they left me feeling slightly queasy after dinner).

I hope and pray this is not a placebo effect, but I feel AMAZING. The best I have felt in a very very long time. The physical anxiety symptoms that have been bothering me all week have subsided significantly, and I just feel so happy and positive. I also feel like I have a lot more energy. My mum can’t believe the difference in me from yesterday. I feel like I’m getting better by the hour!

I hope and pray this feeling lasts. Please have a look at other magnesium success stories out there - apparently 70% of the population are deficient. I’m also a smoker and apparently those who smoke need more magnesium too. There are so many benefits I didn’t realise, and apparently it can be hard to absorb this vital mineral through diet alone.

I’m not expecting these to cure my anxiety and OCD for good, but so far I feel great - and I only started taking it yesterday!

Please if you haven’t tried magnesium/vitamin d I urge you to give it a go. And if you do please let me know how it goes in the comments!

I’ll be sure to provide an update on how I’m doing periodically. Hoping it is as successful for me as it has been for others!

Good luck everyone!

Re: Magnesium and Vitamin D

Vitamin deficiencies are known to cause anxiety. Maybe this is the case for you. I will keep you in my prayers. Good luck!

Thank you!

It’s been almost a week since I started them and I am still feeling the benefits! A lot more energy and considerably less anxious, though still have some periods of weakness/shaking/muscle tension on my right side - have to say it is no longer making me want to burst in to tears. I’m going to stick with them! 😊

Even my hair is less greasy and I’m not as hungry either! Hoping this helps in losing weight too

How are you doing now?

That what I could be lacking vit d, but have to wait for the results from my blood test.

I have started to take a multi vitamin tablet that includes vitamin d.
    My fingers nails have all broken off and the ends of my fingers are so sore.
    The plasters are no good either. I am continually washing my hands that might have something to do with it. Hope the vitamins work.

Thats wonderful! Another one that can cause anxiety is low B12. I was low in B12 and Vit. D back in October, started supplements and B12 injections and it made a difference. My anxiety is far from gone but it defiantly helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    Thats wonderful! Another one that can cause anxiety is low B12. I was low in B12 and Vit. D back in October, started supplements and B12 injections and it made a difference. My anxiety is far from gone but it defiantly helped.
    Hi,

Do you know how low your B12 was? Mines was 182 and the GP gave me supplements which I took for 3 months so the last time I got tested it was 230. A lot of people say that this is still very low even though officially it's in the normal range.

Thanks
    Last edited by Hollow; 08-05-18 at 19:04.

I'm going to start taking these supplements, too. I'm the world's pickiest eater, and I have a feeling I'm probably low on several (most?) vitamins.

I have been taking magnesium on and off for years and can only take at night as they make me feel drowsy. They help me sleep. I swear by them for anxiety. I have also upped my vitamin d and take vit b supplements.

Thread Information