Thread: So so scared about gastroscopy :(

So so scared about gastroscopy :(

Hi everyone, so I went to my doctor recently cause of constant indigestion for the past two months and she recommended that I have a gastroscopy.

I'm terrified!!! I had no idea what it was before I went to the docs and afterwards I googled it - I had imagined the tube would be tiny but it looks huge!! Gagging/being sick is one of my biggest fears. Even feeling sick makes me go all hot and sweaty and my heart races. The thought of gagging on that tube and not being able to remove it makes me so panic stricken I can't imagine anything worse. Obviously silly me googled videos of the procedure and I watched one where the woman was gagging loads, she tried to pull the tube out and they held her down! I should not have watched that...

I've heard you can have sedation but I'm just terrified it won't work or it won't be enough. I don't usually respond very strongly to meds - even the strongest painkillers don't make me woozy like they do with a lot of people.

Any reassurance would be nice :( I've got weeks of worry to get through before this darn test is over.

Re: So so scared about gastroscopy :(

Take the sedation and you will be fine - you won't even remember it.

Don't wind yourself up and worry about it - that just makes anxiety worse.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thank you. I think I will definitely have the sedation.

I wish I could stop worrying about it! I have an anxiety disorder that's so bad I can't work so not worrying is basically impossible for me lol...

So what help are you getting for that then?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Sedation meds work differently to painkillers, so you might respond positively and procedure will go smoothly.

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kv21 View Post
    Thank you. I think I will definitely have the sedation.

I wish I could stop worrying about it! I have an anxiety disorder that's so bad I can't work so not worrying is basically impossible for me lol...
    http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=215127

Never Surrender, Comrade

Definitely take the sedation, you will be able to respond to commands, but you won't feel a thing or remember the procedure afterwards.

I've had a couple of them and it's ezy-pezy

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    So what help are you getting for that then?
    This feels like a very aggressive response... I've had help for my problems for years, I've been on medication for a long time and have also had years of counselling. Sadly its still very bad. Being told to 'not worry' is about the most useless advice I've ever had. Like telling a fish not to swim.

Anyway, my procedure was delayed for ages and is now actually tomorrow morning. Still terrified. Really hoping it goes smoothly and I don't panic.

Hi Kv21

How did it go?

Inanna

Thread Information