Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else had a gastroscopy?

Anybody else had a gastroscopy?

Hi guys, so...I'm not really sure where to start with this.

A couple of months ago I had a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy, just because my GP was a bit worried about appendicitis. Turned out that wasnt a problem, but they did say I had gastritis and redness in my duodenum.

At that time I didnt have much in the way of upper stomach symptoms and I was surprised.

Anyway, I went home thinking that was an end of it. But a few weeks ago I started getting nausea, discomfort and pain in my stomach and back and feeling really crap altogether.

I've got another gastroscopy scheduled for next week and I'm terrified not only about the procedure but what might be wrong with me.

The last gastroscopy I had was quite painful, and now my problems have got worse I know it's going to be even worse. I didnt have sedation for the procedure, the thought scares me too much.

I keep having these catastrophic thoughts that either I have something serious with with my stomach/pancreas or that something is going to go wrong during the procedure and I'll end up being stuck terrified in hospital, in pain or dying...

Re: Anybody else had a gastroscopy?

I think lots of people on here have had them. I’ve had two!

I've had one with no sedation, I'm too scared to have it. How has anybody else found that? xxx

Although without sedation wasn’t pleasant it wasn’t too awful. It’s definitely much nicer with sedation.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
    I've had one with no sedation, I'm too scared to have it. How has anybody else found that? xxx
    I'm waiting for an appt for one. I'm glad you put gastroscopy as thats what my consultant said. Is this the same as endoscopy or different thing?

I'm going to try without sedation.

I think endoscopy is more of a general term, gastroscopy is specifically for the stomach and the duodenum - or at least that's how it was explained to e xxx

I think it's the same thing. I had one just last week - I went for the sedation and would do it again if I had to. It really wasn't a problem and I don't know why I got so worked up about it. It was over in 5 mins and I watched the whole thing on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeloo View Post
    I think endoscopy is more of a general term, gastroscopy is specifically for the stomach and the duodenum - or at least that's how it was explained to e xxx

Ta

---------- Post added at 16:05 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chris1985 View Post
    I think it's the same thing. I had one just last week - I went for the sedation and would do it again if I had to. It really wasn't a problem and I don't know why I got so worked up about it. It was over in 5 mins and I watched the whole thing on the screen.
    Ta

It's the same thing. The real name is very long (gastroscopy is even a shortened version) so most laypeople just call it endoscopy or upper endoscopy. Technically the scope they use is an ensoscope so that's where endoscopy comes from

Quote Originally Posted by Capercrohnj View Post
    It's the same thing. The real name is very long (gastroscopy is even a shortened version) so most laypeople just call it endoscopy or upper endoscopy. Technically the scope they use is an ensoscope so that's where endoscopy comes from

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information