Thread: Advice anyone please - Dose increase

Advice anyone please - Dose increase

Hi all

Just after some advice if possible. After being stable on 37.5mg of venlafaxine for about 5 years I had a crash 3 weeks ago. I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and have done for about 15 years on and off.

The doctor put me on propranolol and increased my dose to 75mg and gave me diazepam for if I need it. I’m totally phobic of the stuff though and try my best not to take it. Anyway to cut a long story short I’ve been on the increased dose for 3 weeks and 3 days. Last week I had some days where I felt quite good others that were still a bit off, but definitely better than the two weeks before.

However from Saturday morning up to now I have been almost constantly anxious like in quite a state. Early hours of Sunday morning I took myself to a&e I felt so bad. I was having this thing where my whole body was shaking inside and I had all the classic anxiety/panic symptoms. Last night from Nowhere I had about two hours where I felt really calm it was nice, but 2am it all started again. I probably should have nipped this in the bud with diazepam (which I know works) but I worry about becoming dependant, rebound anxiety, it stopping working etc.

So I just went to the doctors. She told me I can take the diazepam when I need it, and if I need it I can take it 3 times a day (not sure about that). She also said I can increase to 150mg venlafaxine if I want. I have been this high only once before and have been settled at 37.5 for so long. I’ve never had to ramp up twice before.

Just looking for some opinions. I’m really concerned venlafaxine has stopped working for me or something, why would I have some good days then go back to square one? Also and mainly should I consider an increase when I have only been on the 75mg for 3 weeks and 3 days? I have an appointment Thursday so I’ve said I’ll think about it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I’m feeling pretty hopeless right now x

Re: Advice anyone please - Dose increase

Hi

Roxy what your having is quite normal for us anxiety suffers unfortunately ��
    As you may know I’ve sufferered for 35 years (god you don’t get that for killing someone)
    On and off. You think, when you have good/better days “this is it, better days” only to go back again.
    Don’t ask me how we go years sometimes, I havnt a clue��*♀️ Only if it’s something you defo know about.
    Most of my are just out of the blue.

You are so like me, I am med phobic
    I would put myself through mega anxiety symptoms before taking one, but just recently this as changed. I just think why would anyone put themselves through these extreme sensations when you can take Diazepam to eliminate them.
    There’s days I can take 1x2mg’s for 3 days in a row, this really works for me brings my anxiety right down. I might not have any then for week/10 days.
    I would so defo not addicted, I’m too controlling and scared to let that happen.
    As I’m sure you are, and lots of other peep on here.

If it was ME, I think I’d give the venlafaxine between 4/6 weeks, I’ve upped mine to 187.5mg a week ago and will give it 6 weeks and in the mean time use d’s as and when till I’m stable
    I’ve been a&e Roxy crying my eyes out for help, consultant spoke to Sane based at hospital
    They wouldn’t come and see me because I wasn’t suicidal or psychotic!
    She offered me Diazepam, but I had some. Her report was sent to my ex psychiatrist who wouldn’t take me back on and told Gp to up my meds.
    So complete waste of time. IMO

Why don’t you think about having a couple weeks off work to chill and have sometime to yourself.
    Oh I went on a website, it said the had a group anxiety at the town hall on a Saturday in your area?
    X

Hi Roxy

How you doing?

Hi Clio. Sorry I haven’t replied earlier. I’ve been having a really rough week. I wasn’t expecting it after seeing some improvements last week so it’s knocked me for six.

I feel like I’ve had constant anxiety for the last 5 days or so. It’s awful. I’m tired from not sleeping properly and not eating right. Last night and yesterday morning I had a few hours anxiety free which was a nice break. It’s just getting me down. I think I’m still having quite a few side effects from the increase, but it’s hard to know what’s a side effect and what’s anxiety.

I went to a peer support group on Monday night which was really good. I’ve got docs this afternoon so I’ll see what she says.

How’s your increase going? X

Hi Roxy

Day 19 of increase
    Started didn’t notice difference, then few good days thinking wow turning point at last.

Also having bad days, 3 on the run so far unable to eat again(same old) back on taking Diazepam
    I too have moments of calm mostly at night time, I wake early around 7 (I don’t work) and can’t get back off again no matter how much I toss and turn.
    When in anxious/flat mode it’s so very hard to muster up any enthusiasm, it’s not coming naturally and I really wish it would it’s a real chore. I’ve to the point now where the first thing I think of is what can I do today instead of just going with the flow. It’s getting me down.

Anyway, how you doing ? Xx

I think from what you’ve said you are pretty much having the same symptoms I’ve had with my increase. I have been so up and down. I wish I was able to take the diazepam when I need to. My doctors keep telling me to and I know it helps, but when I’m anxious I almost end up scared to take it. I also spent weeks not eating, which I really don’t think helps with how you feel. I went through a phase of waking at 4 but now I’m also waking at about 6/7 and always initially anxious until I get up.

Anyway it was 5 weeks on Friday since my increase. I had a bit of a meltdown the week before last when I was convinced I was never going to get better, I was pretty down, ended up off work for a few days. This week has been better, i feel I can get on with doing most things I need to do, but the anxiety and constant mind chatter still there sort of in the background. Today has been a really good day, I think the best so far. Coincidence that the sun was shining? I’m not counting my chickens anyway, one day at a time.

I’m going to that support group again tomorrow night, that was helpful. I think the thinking about things to do is our way of trying not to let it beat us. It’s still early days on your increase, I’m sure you’re enthusiasm will return and if you don’t feel like doing anything maybe your brain is telling you to rest. For me it’s kind of opposite, I don’t have enough time to do nothing it’s full on always in this house.

In my online CBT course last week I had to complete an activity record/planner for each hour of the day. Including a pleasurable activity each day, chores and rest time etc. It might be helpful to give you a push each day but if I doesn’t go to plan it doesn’t matter. It’s all easier said than done of course especially if you feel low/anxious. Did you get any further with the counselling thing/CBT?

I think with me I just feel reallly shell shocked by this whole episode. Having gone so long anxiety free (5 years) including having a baby In that time (that’s what triggered it when I was 19) I really thought I’d cracked it. I feel like it’s taken the wind out of my sails and made me feel a bit uncertain about the future and a bit less confident and defeated.

I’m sure we will get there Clio. I think the fact you had some good days and that you are getting the calm time in an evening is a good sign in my experience. I am clear of most side effects from the increase now, I’m sleeping better and my appetite is back also I’m not driving myself to a and e at every opportunity so even if I don’t always feel it things have improved.

Your turn next! I’m still checking in every day if you need any support xxx

Thread Information