Thread: Abnormally heavy period? On pill for years

Abnormally heavy period? On pill for years

It seems every time I come on this it's with a new female health drama :/ I've been taking Yasmin for three years with no major problems, but this month my period is seriously scaring me. I have a 7 day period always, with the first 3 days being the heaviest until it dries up at the end. But I'm currently on day 4, and the bleeding is still really heavy and fresh, when usually it's always light at this stage. I've read so many other forum posts about ladies who have heavy periods after just starting the pill, but none I've seen so far have spoken about heavy periods after years of being on it :( I'm 22, not sexually active and I didn't skip any pills. I did however take antibiotics for seven days during my pill free week, so am hoping that it may have been due to that.

Do any of ye have any idea why? I'll be trying to go to my GP soon once an appointment comes up. I'm just trying not to think of the worst :(

Re: Abnormally heavy period? On pill for years

That doesn't sound too weird to me. I think it's actually more normal to occasionally have abnormal periods than always have completely regular periods... if you know what I mean! It's just really common to have changes in your menstrual cycle sometimes.

An extra day of heavy bleeding is something that most people probably wouldn't even notice and I'm sure is nothing to worry about. If the heavy bleeding doesn't stop, or you start feeling faint, then, yeah, see a doctor! But if your period clears up in a few days then I'd just forget all about it.

Hi I just wandered what happened with this as I am having the same myself

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefull4567 View Post
    Hi I just wandered what happened with this as I am having the same myself
    Heya, this thread is a year old now and I’m still here so I’m presuming it was nothing It’s very easy to panic when it seems your period just isn’t ending, but keep in mind on the pill these things really do happen. My advice would be to wait a few more days, and if you’re still worried then to ask your GP 😊

Hi glad everything's ok.im on day 9 and still bleeding .scared cant see a doctor for like a month .just worried not normal for me at all

How long was your period after may I adk

Quote Originally Posted by Hopefull4567 View Post
    How long was your period after may I adk
    Well, the time I was panicking about my period being heavier than usual, it was seven days as it always is, but I had an extra two days of it being heavy, which for me is so out of the ordinary. It could also be that your pill has lost effectiveness, which can happen if you’ve been on it for a few years. I don’t know how it works in the UK, but is there any chance you could see another doctor in the time being? If there were any walk in clinics in the area it might save you from going mental waiting a month for your usual doctor. I forgot to mention that I went to my doctor last year when I was scared about it, and she was absolutely not worried and put it down to a fluke. If you can’t wait a month, definitely for peace of mind see someone else if you can 😊

Have u ever had spotting in between taking the pill when your not on your free week

Thread Information