Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CT Angiogram with dye - v anxious as no veins !!

CT Angiogram with dye - v anxious as no veins !!

Hi has anyone had a CT Angiogram with contrast dye ? Im really anxious as they found a lump on my heart through an echocardiogram. I am v anxious about reaction to the dye also I am extremely difficult for finding a vein for blood tests. I also had an op couple of years ago & they couldn't find a vein for the anaesthetic. They spent over half an hour trying which was stressful & in the end they put me to sleep & then found one. The one they found broke down & luckily I had finished the morphine & had oral meds from then on. My HA will be high before they do the test anyway but if they are struggling to find a vein I will be in a real mess !! Help please.

Re: CT Angiogram with dye - v anxious as no veins !!

It may be better this time - you never know.

I have had many CT's with dye with only 1 problem.

They ask you questions to determine if you are likely to be allergic to it or not.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I had a ct angiogram in december with contrast. Mine was abdominal not cardiac but the test the same. It was much much better than a normal ct as you don't have to drink the nasty stuff beforehand. I'm a hard stick (I'm chronically ill.so my veins are toast from multiple hospitalizations, infusions etc) but they eventually found a decent one.

Hi, I had a CT scan with contrast last July and i've got to have an MRCP scan with contrast soon. A reaction to the contrast is pretty rare. I'm like you as my veins are very hard to find. I find that it's very much down to the skill of the person with the needle, when i had my CT they tried for about 20 mins the wen't and got somebody else it went straight in. I also had a nurse at my GP surgery going at it for nearly 30mins last year and my arms were badly bruised for nearly to weeks but when i go to the phlebotomy dept at the hospital they get it pretty much 1st time everytime. The other thing about a CT scan is it's very quick if that's worrying you.

Thank you for your replies. I can feel the anxiety building about this. Someone told me that you get a hot feeling & that may set off a panic attack incase its the start of a reaction in me. I hate anxiety & all that goes with it !!

You feel like you want to have a wee that is all and it is short lived.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I understand your fear. I am due to have the same test soon and I am also scared; not of the needle/injection but of a reaction to the dye. I have numerous allergies. I know I will be a nervous wreck for the rest of the day and will be on red alert for 24 hours. It won't be pleasant. I know that I am unlikely to have a reaction but reasoning doesn't stop my fears. As soon as I feel anything unusual I will go into panic mode, e.g. tingling, burning etc. This is bad enough when in hospital, but at least there you are in capable hands. I am frightened of coming home and having a reaction then.

Good luck with your test. I'm sure it will be ok. As for the vein problem, I know that mine seem to disappear when I am nervous or cold. Ring the department prior to your scan day and ask to speak to someone about your fears. I'm sure they will advise you. Perhaps they'll give you some antihistamines to prevent any allergic reaction. Keep yourself warm, if you're cold your veins will shrink back from the surface even more. Ask if you can have some warm blankets, I have had them before a general anaesthetic and they helped with getting the cannula in to my vein. Every little helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn4 View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I can feel the anxiety building about this. Someone told me that you get a hot feeling & that may set off a panic attack incase its the start of a reaction in me. I hate anxiety & all that goes with it !!
    When i had mine it did give me that warm sensation but it only lasted a few seconds. I was told it may make me feel like i need a wee but it didn't. To be honest i needed a wee anyway as you have to drink a load of water before the scan.

You could ask your GP for some diazepam for the scan.

I felt a bit warm and also like I'd wet myself, which I hadn't (lucky me). It helps to avoid the panic attack if you know in advance what it's going to feel like - it's when we attribute the bodily sensations incorrectly that causes the panic attack but if you know that warmth and the wetting sensation is due to the dye then you don't need to worry about it being something serious. I was very anxious about mine too. In retrospect the anxiety was a hell of a lot worse than the CT. Whoever said there's nothing to fear but fear itself was on to something. It helped me to close my eyes and concentrate on the breath coming and going from my nose. All the best. I'm sure you'll be well looked after.

Thanks for all your replies. I have been ok but now really starting to get severe anxiety. It probably hasn't helped getting a cold type virus ! I don't know what happens if they can't get a vein ? I have had to leave several times when having blood tests & go back another day & then another. There is only one spot that seems to sometimes work & that is inside elbow just where it bends & they don't put canula there I don't think.? What with getting anxious about the fact that I have a lump on my heart, reaction to the dye & getting the needle in plus the diagnosis if they can do it !!! I'm a mess now & its not until tomorrow .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information