Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of dogs hurting my child

Fear of dogs hurting my child

The amount of people I see walking dogs who have no recall/control over them is really worrying me :(

I have a 2 year old and it's got to the point I don't want to walk anywhere with him anymore, and I avoid big open parks where people like to let their dogs off leads. Whenever I have to go somewhere where there are dogs I get very anxious and don't enjoy myself.

We were in a park today and I was OK at first but then a big dog came racing towards my son, the owner was shouting the dog but he just wasn't listening. I managed to pick my son up before the dog got to him. After a lecture off my husband she said "he's just a puppy" it's not the point though is it? I don't know if your dog is going to be friendly or not, so my instinct is to protect my son. And it should not be acceptable to let dogs run up to people anyway, it's plain rude. This dog also jumped up and put his paws on my husband!!

How can I even begin to get past this anxiety if I can't change the fact that some dog owners are ignorant?

Re: Fear of dogs hurting my child

Hi Raspberry I am with you on that score I am dog owner too, difference with me is she is fine off the lead and she is trained don't get me started on the numpties as I call them met loads of them with out of control dogs Iam going to give you a great tip don't pick your child up 2 reasons one your child will come to be scared off all dogs you don't want that! And secondly if a dog is dangerous you could be both bitten. Yes your husband is right ir was only a puppy you only have to look at the body language if a dog is friendly wagging tail, ears erect etc . How you stop it is by not tarring every dog off its lead as dangerous

My breed of dog is supposed to be dangerous (staffy bull terrier!) but its simply not the case raise them right and they love children and are super loving and loyal was I put off owning one ? No not in the slightest Hope you get your anxiety sorted soon ATB

Dogs should always be on leads. I have been attacked twice by dogs, luckily each time I managed to escape without any major damage. Although, one of them nearly took my leg, now I try to avoid coming face to face with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow View Post
    Dogs should always be on leads. I have been attacked twice by dogs, luckily each time I managed to escape without any major damage. Although, one of them nearly took my leg, now I try to avoid coming face to face with them.
    May I ask are you a dog owner? Your statement is incorrect well it is for me and I could find it offensive as my dog is great off the lead I should know I have had her for 10 years so iam not offended ATB

Protecting the child is essential, if anxiety about dogs becomes an issue later it can be dealt with but the potential for the child being injured is far more important. If you get bitten, that's just part of shielding your child.

The dog might be friendly but it can still barge into the child not meaning to harm them. And it's really up to the parents whether they want their child near the dog as they may have concerns about their child learning about their safety.

Councils specify areas where you must use a lead but many dog owners always do anyway. We always use one but it's about how friendly he is too and we prefer to control him rather than risk something happening that may cause injury e.g. we are near to busy roads a lot.

I'm fine with dogs being off leads in general but unfortunately things do happen. Dog owners need to be mindful of situations that can be a problem, like the OP's. Our dog has been attacked in a park in this situation when he was young.

Several times I've had a couple of dogs run to mine because the owner runs them on a field and I had to pick my dog up to protect him. I would rather shield him and use my feetv on the dogs if they tried to bite me...and then the owner!

With this one being a puppy it was obviously still excitable and likely being trained. But they need to be mindful of the law and how best to avoid upsetting others until the dog can be trusted.

OP - I think avoiding nice places, or any place, because of the potential for irresponsible owners shouldn't be the case but I can understand your fears. All you can do is be alert and practical. Keep your child near and between you when passing dogs and then you can react/put one of you in between, etc. Sometimes it's possible to spot an idiot owner or a badly behaved dog so if you wait in the car until they put some distance between you or walk away from them until you can come back, that may be wise.

The benefits to your child in enjoying nice places & activities far outweighs the risk and it's your right to be able to go to them.

If there are problems in a public place you could always approach the council for advice. If they feel it's needed, they can declare a place dog safe. The trouble is, it comes down to owners as councils won't have employees watching such places all the time. But responsible owners would respond e.g. use of leads can be stipulated.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 17-03-18 at 06:12.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Protecting the child is essential, if anxiety about dogs becomes an issue later it can be dealt with but the potential for the child being injured is far more important. If you get bitten, that's just part of shielding your child.

The dog might be friendly but it can still barge into the child not meaning to harm them. And it's really up to the parents whether they want their child near the dog as they may have concerns about their child learning about their safety.

Councils specify areas where you must use a lead but many dog owners always do anyway. We always use one but it's about how friendly he is too and we prefer to control him rather than risk something happening that may cause injury e.g. we are near to busy roads a lot.

I'm fine with dogs being off leads in general but unfortunately things do happen. Dog owners need to be mindful of situations that can be a problem, like the OP's. Our dog has been attacked in a park in this situation when he was young.

Several times I've had a couple of dogs run to mine because the owner runs them on a field and I had to pick my dog up to protect him. I would rather shield him and use my feetv on the dogs if they tried to bite me...and then the owner!

With this one being a puppy it was obviously still excitable and likely being trained. But they need to be mindful of the law and how best to avoid upsetting others until the dog can be trusted.

OP - I think avoiding nice places, or any place, because of the potential for irresponsible owners shouldn't be the case but I can understand your fears. All you can do is be alert and practical. Keep your child near and between you when passing dogs and then you can react/put one of you in between, etc. Sometimes it's possible to spot an idiot owner or a badly behaved dog so if you wait in the car until they put some distance between you or walk away from them until you can come back, that may be wise.

The benefits to your child in enjoying nice places & activities far outweighs the risk and it's your right to be able to go to them.

If there are problems in a public place you could always approach the council for advice. If they feel it's needed, they can declare a place dog safe. The trouble is, it comes down to owners as councils won't have employees watching such places all the time. But responsible owners would respond e.g. use of leads can be stipulated.
    I agree Terry like I said it's also a known fact you pick up your child or small dog to protect and a dangerous dog is coming at you then you are both at risk Carry a stick or one of those air horns And yes designaited areas too for dogs off leads is good supervised ones you don't see many of them in my area. I still say if you get a dog you should be made to a take course of basic training prior to getting the dog wether it's from a dog breeder or shelter Not boasting here but feel I would pass any basic training courses if I was asked to go on one, many wouldn't. And my dog too has been attacked so know what it's like the owners were late teens too Feel it's a bit of a grey area in some respects. ATB

I agree that Dogs should be put on leads, we live near fields so we get a lot of dogs owners on our road,

I remember a dog jumping up at me when I was about 3 or 4 where my Dad parents used to live, as there was park

I have always been frighten of dogs, its stops people in the family coming to things because of me and possibly other people frighten of dogs,

8. Re: Fear of dogs hurting my child

I think this is not anxiety, its your love and care for your son.......you want him to protect from every hurdles...but please make him strong so do not react like this in front of him...try to be strong because child learn from parents you sacred of dogs he too does the same....teach him to be strong

Quote Originally Posted by matthewtweedie View Post
    I think this is not anxiety, its your love and care for your son.......you want him to protect from every hurdles...but please make him strong so do not react like this in front of him...try to be strong because child learn from parents you sacred of dogs he too does the same....teach him to be strong
    totally true there's a neighbour lives across the road from me the grand children one of them is scared even with my gentle, loving dog she picked her child up and ordered me to take my dog away even though she is really sweet that child will grow up with this fear through out her adult life shame really. ATB

I'm with you, raspberry22. This prevents me from walking in open fields, and even going on some walking trails around our city. I've seen some big, frightening dogs off leash where it's illegal, but nothing's done about it.
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information