Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear of dogs hurting my child

Re: Fear of dogs hurting my child

Well so far I've been avoiding places where dogs run free. I've found some dog-free gardens and children's areas. But my husband really likes going on walks and more countryside type things so I feel I am holding him back from doing this :(

Bigboyuk it was the owner who said that the dog "is only a puppy", my husband was just as annoyed as me that she had no control over the dog (just without the added anxiety).

I think it's really rude that people expect others to be OK with a dog bounding towards you and jumping up, being playful or not. Personal space!!

Quote Originally Posted by raspberry22 View Post
    Well so far I've been avoiding places where dogs run free. I've found some dog-free gardens and children's areas. But my husband really likes going on walks and more countryside type things so I feel I am holding him back from doing this :(

Bigboyuk it was the owner who said that the dog "is only a puppy", my husband was just as annoyed as me that she had no control over the dog (just without the added anxiety).

I think it's really rude that people expect others to be OK with a dog bounding towards you and jumping up, being playful or not. Personal space!!
    Yes I do understand what you are saying, it also depends on how old the puppy was and wether it had any training or not,my dog ( and yes they can be trained not to jump up) is not allowed to do this apart from startling other people you don't want dirty muddy paws over your clothes my girl will only get stroked if I use the all paws on the ground rule first and still meet people saying its fine if your dog jumps up mind you I prefer a cuddle off a dog much better than most people who suck imho ATB

I wish more dog owners were like you. It's such a shame really :( The fact is that there are shitty dog owners and I don't think it will ever change, hence my ongoing anxiety! :(

Yes, some dog owners are idiots and plenty of dog owners would agree with you. Dog owners themselves are wary of other dogs around theirs. Mine was attacked from behind by a dog off the lead and that means you learn from the experience when other dogs are approaching. They may be really nice but you don't know until you have met the dog so introduction may be cautious for some of us.

With a child it's not unreasonable to be cautious and if a dog is coming running at you many a parent is going to shield or pick up the child because some risks aren't worth taking.

I've been jumped on by big dogs (Alsatians) when I was a lad and it does make you a bit wary but it doesn't become a disorder either. It just means some softening towards dogs may be needed if someone is wary. It's no different from being a member of the public being cautious around someone who looks like they are looking for a fight or on the thieve.

It was a puppy so it was untrained & playful but really it's no excuse in law and dogs are meant to be controlled. Training can take place in quieter areas until the dog is ready which can help cut this down but some owners just head for the park and go for the sink or swim approach without considering others.

I think it's right that you continue to go to places and report dog owners if needed. But if an area is dangerous, no parent would ever go there. If an area is safe, then you can work on feeling comfortable there and you have your husband to protect you too as well as help you in exposures.

Thank you MyNameIsTerry I know I need to work on confronting the fear rather than avoiding, which is what I'm doing now. It's so hard..it feels like I am putting my son in direct danger. And it's the type of fear where facing it and doing it more regularly doesn't shake it as each time you go out it can be a brand new experience with different dogs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information