Thread: Does it mean that all SSRIs will not work for me?

Does it mean that all SSRIs will not work for me?

Hello
    I've tried before Escitalopram, Paroxetine, Fluoxetine, and they all made me worse, does this mean that Sertraline will be just like them and will not work for me, since it is from the same group "SSRIs"

Clomipramine worked great for me at first but it pooped out now, I'm still taking but it doesn't help me with the depression, all I want to do is sleep and eat, I have no motivation to do anything

And is there a difference between Venlafaxine and Desvenlafaxine, I've tried Venlafaxine and it didn't work for me, their names appears to be very similar, so I don't know if I have to try Desvenlafaxine too
    Thanks!

Re: Does it mean that all SSRIs will not work for me?

Sertraline could still work for you. Only way to know for sure is to try it.

It's worth remembering that SSRIs do tend to make you worse at first. How long have tried each med for? It can take a few weeks to feel the benefit on these meds.

Thank you, I've tried these meds one week for each one, they all made me unbearably depressed

One week is not long enough on any of these meds.

Couldn't take them (Escitalopram*, Fluoxetine**, Venlafaxine***) for more than one week, compared with Clomipramine when I first took it, it gave me good feeling since the first pill so that's what made me not staying on them for more one week

*:gave me weird ideas!
    **:gave me pressure in the head, I felt like my head was going to explode
    ***:made me super-aware of my entourage

No, they recommend trying multiple SSRI's before moving onto other med classes because not everyone is suited to each one.

You have to remember that whilst they are classified as SSRI's they all have different affinities for other receptors too and this can be a problem for some and a gain for others.

Desvenlafaxine is the synthetic version of the major metabolite that Venlafaxine is converted into by the body. It's not quite the same in that the dosages are different which shows how the affinities differ. And don't forget until you advance beyond 150mg on Ven, it's really only a SSRI as it's so weak in terms of norephinephine that you have to go to higher doses for it. Despite Ven being classified a SNRI it's norepinephrine interaction is weaker than that of Sertraline.

There are other factors in play too e.g. liver enzymes and how your body reacts at an individual level, cultural differences across the world in terms of physiology, etc.

Thread Information