Thread: Medication withdraw-Horrible!

Medication withdraw-Horrible!

I am posting over here in regards to Cymbalta since that forum doesn't get much attention these days. I had to stop Cymbalta (cold turkey) per my doctor after taking it for about 8 weeks. It was causing severe stomach pain and discomfort. My doctor switched me over to a low dose of Viibryd to see if that will work better. I am experiencing extreme withdrawls! dizziness, brain zaps, vertigo, crakiness, extreme hunger, hot and cold flashes, etc. Does anyone know how long this might last, or if this is normal? Please help! It makes me think i'm going to die :(

Re: Medication withdraw-Horrible!

Hi Ethansmom!

Sorry to hear what you are going through....However, I am at a loss to understand how a reputable physician can ask a patient to go off Cymbalta cold turkey. A doc should know better.....

I made a similar experience going off Venlafaxine without tapering off.....Since both drugs are SNRI I think the have a similar structure and need to be tapered off very, very slowly....

I did this without asking my doc, however. After horrible withdrawing symptoms I went straight back to the last dose I had taken before and then tapered off over 6 months!!!!

I know this doesn't sound like a satisfying solution but at least it worked for me. Hope I could help a bit.

Get well soon!

Chris

I haven't take the medication you are on either ethansmom, but I read what you'd written earlier and was staggered that your GP has recommended 'cold turkey' . I've just done a few quick searches on the medication and it seems that gradual reduction is nearly always advised...

The Cymbalta label advises consumers to “gradually reduce dosage to avoid discontinuation symptoms.” According to the label, discontinuation may result in symptoms including dizziness, headache, nausea, diarrhea, paresthesia, irritability, vomiting, insomnia, anxiety, hyperhidrosis and fatigue.
    Why did your GP say to stop immediately ? Was there a fairly serious reason ?

She's switching. Other than a cautious cross taper this Is another way of doing switches.

She's only been on the med a short time and the side effects have been bad so it might even help to reduce their impact. And the cross over of drugs working on systems such as the Serotogenic are expected to alleviate withdrawal as you don't withdraw.

The "N" element of her SNRI only kicked in at 60mg so that's not had much time to work yet but the Serotonin element has had longer. And previous switches are in play here too so some propping up of Serotonin has been going on rather than complete withdrawals each time.

Well, I think I understand that Terry.....I get some of it..... Your understanding of medication is in advance of mine as you know from our past discussions.

I've read it again, YAY I get it now.....thanks for explaining things Terry, with all the additional information you've given it makes MUCH more sense. I've looked back at the OPs threads and can see the meds issues ongoing, switching and swapping and so on and the discussed 'side effects'.

Sorry I can't help therefore with your original question Ethansmom.
    Last edited by Carys; 20-03-18 at 08:52.

Thread Information