Thread: Feel like I'm faking it - upcoming doctor's appointment

Feel like I'm faking it - upcoming doctor's appointment

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section - was going to post it in the IBS section, but the IBS is only part of the problem...so here it is!

My anxiety has spiked at various points in my life, and with it has brought on IBS. I moved cities about 4 years ago and it the anxiety seems like it is here to stay. On days where my anxiety is particularly bad, my stomach flips out and I can pass a BM about 4-5 times a day...and then I know my stomach will be bloated and in agony that evening, after my anxiety levels out (it's worse when I've been out of the house) - it's really bad on days like this as I start worrying for the billionth time that I have stomach/bowel cancer and they're not going to catch it until it's too late. My dietitian says my IBS is definitely stress/anxiety related, and I should look into it a little more.

The reason for this thread is that after getting counselling through the IAPT service here in the UK, trying mindfulness, and trying natural remedies for anxiety I still haven't found anything that has helped - and so have booked an appointment with a GP on the 28th to ask about anti-anxiety medication as a short-term measure (due to personal circumstances I won't be able to afford a psychiatric mental health assessment for a few months yet - but this is what I'm moving towards). But it's almost like because I have this appointment coming up and I'm being proactive, my anxiety hasn't been as bad for the past couple of weeks...and in turn I'm left wondering if I should seek medication at all.

Have you guys ever felt like this, like you're faking it and not bad enough to be requesting medication? I can't tell if I'm more worried about the idea of potentially starting medication, or that I might go to the doctor and be turned away.

Re: Feel like I'm faking it - upcoming doctor's appointment

Hey, you won't be turned away. Even if you go now to just get information so you know your options, that will be ok. Having it logged in their system means they will get an idea of the scale of the problem if you come back again about it.

IBS is stress related... and it does sound like you have a long history of anxiety. Even if you haven't felt bad for 2 weeks (which is awesome, yay!) I would still go... 2 weeks isn't a long enough time to be certain that anxiety is never coming back again.

Best of luck. I know what it feels like to feel like you're a fraud! But you're not a fraud. You don't have to be the most extreme case ever in order to be worthy of help. You're worthy as you are!

Thread Information