Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of being on my own for the rest of my life (:

Re: Fear of being on my own for the rest of my life (:

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine S View Post
    I was just trying to make him feel better elen that's all. I found my lid at age 54, but it's possible at any age.
    yep I appreciate that but it still is a platitude, So glad that you found your partner later in life, so hope for many there,

Quote Originally Posted by Elen View Post
    yep I appreciate that but it still is a platitude, So glad that you found your partner later in life, so hope for many there,
    What is a platitude? ATB

According to the dictionary, a platitude means something that has been said so many times it has no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine S View Post
    According to the dictionary, a platitude means something that has been said so many times it has no meaning.
    Ahh ok think sometimes there are exceptions ATB

I did laugh that you asked what platitude means , I thought the same thing dammed state education maybe I should have listened in school , my neighbour is 90 she's never married and lived alone since her parents died many years ago , she's had one life long freind who is now in a care home with dementia but she has always been happy in her own company and very positive, she used to go away on cruises and trips to London to posh hotels , she doesn't have the stresses of family life , believe me family life can be hard and feel just as lonely ( alone with everyone ) .
    You know sometimes you try so hard for something you end up pushing it further out of reach , you seem like a good man so just keep on hanging in there and keep getting out and about the more people you meet the higher the odds of finding someone you click with .Take care

Quote Originally Posted by Buster70 View Post
    I did laugh that you asked what platitude means , I thought the same thing dammed state education maybe I should have listened in school , my neighbour is 90 she's never married and lived alone since her parents died many years ago , she's had one life long freind who is now in a care home with dementia but she has always been happy in her own company and very positive, she used to go away on cruises and trips to London to posh hotels , she doesn't have the stresses of family life , believe me family life can be hard and feel just as lonely ( alone with everyone ) .
    You know sometimes you try so hard for something you end up pushing it further out of reach , you seem like a good man so just keep on hanging in there and keep getting out and about the more people you meet the higher the odds of finding someone you click with .Take care
    Yep me to I had to google it

What's google ? I'll have to bing it

I am alone,might have something too do with my tattoos and foul language,but that's me folks.

At the moment I love my life and the freedom to do what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboyuk View Post
    Hi folks this is so real for me and I don't like the way I feel, So any one else either going through this now or has done in the past? It's pretty scary right now ATB

Hi there,

I don't know your age but never give up that you may find a kindred spirit.
    Like others have said, it can happen later in life too.

Many of us married young (in our twenties) and had bad marriages, which we ended. So you are then on your own, even if you have children, it's not the same as having a loving companion.

I persevered with a verbally abusive marriage for 15 years before ending it (I was 39). Over the ensuing years I had a few boyfriends but none I lived with.

At 56 I met my lovely partner (the love of my life) and after 4 years we set up home. It's great, I'm so blessed to have found him, I'm 61 and he's 64.

So I was on my own for 19 years before my partner moved in with me

ps. I met my partner on an online dating site. It's a local New Zealand site so you can select from different cities and areas within that city. I have other friends my age who've had success with online dating as well. Well worth a try
    Last edited by WiseMonkey; 21-03-18 at 09:55.

Dave I know that you do not like group meetings but I really do feel that through them you stand the best chance of meeting friends.

It is asking a lot of anyone to engage in a one to one meeting as a first off and it could be too intense for a number of people.

Are you still going out an about to places where you are likely to meet people who you can start up a casual conversation with?

Do you have a local pub?

The only way to meet people is to get out and among them, as someone else has said the more people you meet the better your chances of meeting the right person.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information