Thread: 3 year Endoscopy Test Coming

3 year Endoscopy Test Coming

On Thursday - I have a scheduled endoscopy as a follow-up to endoscopy (s) that I have had in 2012, 2013 and 2015.

On each of them, it was noted that I had an irregular z-line (with biopsies taken) and that I had an abnormal level of bile sitting in my stomach (bile reflux).

Each of the biopsies on each came back with the following conclusions:

Esophagus/Squamocolumar junction (Z-Line) :

Sqaumous part - Histological Changes indicative of chronic reflux esophagits
    Columanar part - Inflammation in Cells.

No intestinal Metaplasia / Negative for Barrett's

I only take Zantac as needed in the past few years; I am a runner and am always concerned it causes acid/bile regurgitation.

I am very concerned about any progression to Barrett's esophagus. (I am 47 years old currently ). Should I be concerned in light of the previous 3 scope reports which were nearly identical in the report and results that I have progressed to something worse. I have not had anythignthat I would consider major heartburn over the years. Just some anxiety over tests obviously. Thanks for any help here.

Re: 3 year Endoscopy Test Coming

I know this is not a place for definitive medical advise nor is anyone a doctor, but anyone have any thoughts as to my concerns.

I am super anxious (likely unreasonably anxious).

Thanks again for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by richm66 View Post
    On Thursday - I have a scheduled endoscopy as a follow-up to endoscopy (s) that I have had in 2012, 2013 and 2015.

On each of them, it was noted that I had an irregular z-line (with biopsies taken) and that I had an abnormal level of bile sitting in my stomach (bile reflux).

Each of the biopsies on each came back with the following conclusions:

Esophagus/Squamocolumar junction (Z-Line) :

Sqaumous part - Histological Changes indicative of chronic reflux esophagits
    Columanar part - Inflammation in Cells.

No intestinal Metaplasia / Negative for Barrett's

I only take Zantac as needed in the past few years; I am a runner and am always concerned it causes acid/bile regurgitation.

I am very concerned about any progression to Barrett's esophagus. (I am 47 years old currently ). Should I be concerned in light of the previous 3 scope reports which were nearly identical in the report and results that I have progressed to something worse. I have not had anythignthat I would consider major heartburn over the years. Just some anxiety over tests obviously. Thanks for any help here.
    Hi,

I had a gastroscopy yesterday and had mild inflammation below the Z line, with no Barretts. Inflammation does not lead to Barrett's. Neither of my previous gastroscopies showed Barrett's either.

There is a sequence of changes within the lining of the oesophagus, which happens over many years before Barretts is diagnosed. Barrett's due to reflux occurs in about 10% of the population.

For other facts and figures you would have to ask your Dr/surgeon.

Good luck with your scope, you will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Hi,

I had a gastroscopy yesterday and had mild inflammation below the Z line, with no Barretts. Inflammation does not lead to Barrett's. Neither of my previous gastroscopies showed Barrett's either.

There is a sequence of changes within the lining of the oesophagus, which happens over many years before Barretts is diagnosed. Barrett's due to reflux occurs in about 10% of the population.

For other facts and figures you would have to ask your Dr/surgeon.

Good luck with your scope, you will be fine
    Thanks WiseMonkey! I appreciate your reply and it is very helpful (especially - the you I will be just fine part). Do you know the relevance of an "irregular z-line" which seems to be consistent in my scopes. this is a 3 year follow-up - so I expect the same "irregular notation" that they always biopsy for "suspicion of Barrett's". I assume that is standard for the GI doctor I see. Do you truly believe that with the rather consistent results of the past 3 scopes, that I should not worry of any other progressive changes. thanks again for your time and feedback if possible.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information