Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can’t live with this rabies fear much longer

Unhappy Can’t live with this rabies fear much longer

Hi, I’m Sam. 22 year old college student from Los Angeles Ca.
    This past year my mind has moved from illness to illness, right now rabies has been the main source of my extreme anxiety. It’s become so bad that I’m scared to walk outside at night or even day in some areas because I’m always scared a bat is going to bite or scratch me somehow and I’ll get rabies and die.. basically.
    It’s been getting so bad that I got 4 doses (which were unnecessary) of anti rabies shots just because I “thought” something may have scratches me, when I know I didn’t feel or see anything touch me.
    Now I always just instantly think a bat bit me or an animal with rabies cut me or bit me everytime I feel any single little tickle/itch/or small pinch, I’ll instantly think it’s a bat and have my family look for bite marks in that area.. which is driving them crazy. Basically I just want some advice.. or someone to talk to that’s going through similar situations, I’m in constant fear that I’m going to die of rabies, and my mind keeps playing tricks on me trying to force logic out. It’s like I make up moments that didn’t even happen about maybe seeing a bat etc etc, it’s like a broken record will start playing over and over in my head, it’s like my mind wants to make me believe I did get attacked by something. And even like a feeling of a small itch or slightest scratch or little tap I’ll always freak out, even if I’m in my room! I’ll start thinking oh crap! What if a bat got in? Ugh..
    Anyways sorry if half of this was babble I just need someone to talk to... I used to never be like his.

Re: Can’t live with this rabies fear much longer

If it helps you to know, the 'bats and rabies' fear is an incredibly common one on this forum. There are loads and loads of threads about it, and if you do a search you will have lots of advice to read....which will keep you going for a while

I think you need to see someone about the fear and treat that to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I’m starting to see a therapist next week but.. I don’t know how it’s going to help :/

You don't need to know that right now. Therapy is a process. It takes time. But keep an open mind and be prepared to put the work in and you'll see results.
    Last edited by ServerError; 20-03-18 at 22:45. Reason: A VERY unfortunate typo on "results"!

Thanks... I’ll try to stay positive about the therapy.

Omg i have the exact same problem. its crazy

Unhappy Rabies from sniffing animal feces ? (accident)

Yesterday i picked something up off my carpet not really thinking about what it could be, i was unsure so.. i sniffed it (why would anyone ever even do that?)
    It didn't really smell like anything, it was small sticky and brownish. It didn't really look like poop or feel like it to me, it left my fingers oily I think, it was probably food that had been dropped or something.

However im concerned that it may actually have been poop and i dragged it in with a shoe or something :/

So now im unsure and my brain keeps racing the thought that maybe that was animal feces, and that animal had rabies and now i have inhaled the virus off of the potential feces because i put it so close to my nose and face. :(

The internet is giving me confusing answers, some places it says rabies is not spread airborne or through contact with feces or blood /urine etc.
    However other people and places say inhaling the rabies is possible but rare as it has happened to people working in caves and they apparently contracted the virus just through all the poop that was in the air.

I don't know what to believe anymore or what to do, i called a vet and they informed me that i shouldn't worry because that risk is basically unheard of.

I've also recently gotten all 4 doses of rabies vaccine including the RIG from a "potential exposure" from a month back.

I feel so broken and beaten down... this fear constantly is eating me.
    if anyone has any insight on this sort of stuff please let me know.
    Last edited by Samy; 21-03-18 at 23:35. Reason: typo

Re: Rabies from sniffing animal feces ? (accident)

Really now, using your rational mind. What is the answer?

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Rabies from sniffing animal feces ? (accident)

That you would connect something you picked off the floor with animal faeces really points to how severe your anxiety has become, because it's a totally illogical and random conclusion to come to. Would you ever think a piece of dirt on your carpet/floor was a meteorite? Why not? Because a meteorite poses no immediate danger like a piece of animal crap does. If you can see and accept this, you can begin to deal with your HA.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information