Thread: Should I keep on pushing through or try meds again?

Should I keep on pushing through or try meds again?

Hi,
    Just trying to make a decision about whether to go back to the doctor and wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

I had a really bad period of chronic anxiety over a year ago which left me suicidal, and am gradually recovering. Doing CBT which has helped a little. When I was bad I got put on Sertraline,
    200mg at the most, but it didn't seem to do anything. I've been off it since Christmas. I've now settled into a rhythm of feeling fine most days, if a little worried about the anxiety returning, but then having a bad panic at night getting no sleep and feeling like crap for a few days. Then I gradually get back to normal, then another panic. Maybe once a month. I can cope with it but this rollercoaster is so mentally exhausting and makes it difficult to plan the future, like having a family.

I'm wondering if I should try a different med to try and even myself out a bit, but worried it won't work and the side effects won't be worth it... Has anyone experienced meds helping with periodic panic like this? Has something worked when Sertraline hasn't?

Thanks

Re: Should I keep on pushing through or try meds again?

Typically medication takes months before you see any real difference. That time frame is worth it compared to living with your intrusive anxiety for a lifetime.

During your journey to achieve what works for you, you may need to try out a variety of medication. All takes time and serious dedication to taking the medication as prescribed.

That means no more randomly stopping medication on your own, as this can lead to seriously uncomfortable side effects. Typically these medications mess with hormone levels in the brain, so they need to be tapered off instead of abrubtly stopped.

When starting new medication side effects only last for 4-6 weeks sometimes less.

I am on a healthy regime now that works for me. I was raped and abused by my ex before and had nightmares really bad ptsd. I couldn't even work i would shake at my desk and cry uncontrollably. I was severly sleep deprived as well which made me very anxious.

It took me 10 months to find a combination of medication that I was comfortable with. But I HAD to commit to taking it as perscribed and communicating my needs to a Psychiatrist who was attentive to meeting my needs.

I hope this helps in your Endeavour to find some mental health stability. Remember, i have learned to treat mental health as important as physical health.

Treat it as you would a broken leg. Don't neglect it, get it the attention it deserves as you deserve to live a relatively anxiety free life.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your advice. Really sorry you've been through such horrible experiences. I was on Sertraline for a year so did give it a good go. I might try a different one if I don't improve soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dormouse View Post
    Thanks for your advice. Really sorry you've been through such horrible experiences. I was on Sertraline for a year so did give it a good go. I might try a different one if I don't improve soon.
    I think 1 year is plenty of time to tell if a medication isn't a good fit. I agree with and support your decision to try something different.

Please dont give up you deserve to live anxiety free! Dont ever feel alone

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

Thread Information