Thread: Can a dust allergy affect the upper throat/nasal area?

Can a dust allergy affect the upper throat/nasal area?

Anyone who has dust/mold allergies: Do you ever get nasal congestion at the back, where your nasal passages meet your throat?

Mine has been worsening for a few months, where it now affects my swallowing. When I find something sarcastic funny, I can barely snort at it anymore. And when I read books with my son that include making gulping sounds, mine aren't normal anymore. I also feel like I have to swallow constantly.

I had a clear head MRI at Christmas, and a clear X-ray this morning. Several years ago I developed an allergy to dust/mold (told to me byy allergist), and I've had nasal congestion and eustachian tube congestion ever since. I suspect that my dust allergy has gotten much worse in our new house, where we've been for just over a year. It has carpet, whereas our last home didn't. And since I have chronic fatigue, I'm barely able to vacuum.

My theory makes sense logically, but is it possible for nasal congestion and inflammation from a dust allergy to affect the upper throat?
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Re: Can a dust allergy affect the upper throat/nasal area?

I don’t see why it couldn’t cause issues there. Do you take any antihistamines? Have you tried a sinus rinse kit? I use a neilmed kit and it seems to help my issues. Only use distilled water, though.

Maybe you could mention this to your doctor and have them take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by meant2live View Post
    I don’t see why it couldn’t cause issues there. Do you take any antihistamines? Have you tried a sinus rinse kit? I use a neilmed kit and it seems to help my issues. Only use distilled water, though.

Antihistamines are a good idea but watch out for the sinus rinse as it can make things worse! I think this is due to having CFS, I tried it and my nasal passages swelled up!

Take care x

I don’t have a dust allergy but I have a cat allergy and my cats cause major problems in my nose and throat. I went to the doctor because my heating was bad and my ear kept popping and I was told that it was actually a tube in my nose that was causing the problem because of the fact I’m allergic to cats and it was irritated. You can get nose spray from the GP that helps and also allergy tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by meant2live View Post

Thanks, meant2live. I don't take antihistamines, although I tried about 4 years ago, and it didn't make a difference. I thought that was strange. I haven't tried a sinus kit, but I do have one and I just need to get over my hesitation to try it. I'm glad it helps your issues! I've heard a lot of good things about it.

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Antihistamines are a good idea but watch out for the sinus rinse as it can make things worse! I think this is due to having CFS, I tried it and my nasal passages swelled up!

Take care x
    Thanks for the heads-up, WiseMonkey. I will go slow and see what happens. How long did it take for your symptoms to settle down? And what kind of water did you use with the kit?

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Honeynut View Post
    I don’t have a dust allergy but I have a cat allergy and my cats cause major problems in my nose and throat. I went to the doctor because my heating was bad and my ear kept popping and I was told that it was actually a tube in my nose that was causing the problem because of the fact I’m allergic to cats and it was irritated. You can get nose spray from the GP that helps and also allergy tablets.
    Thank you for your comment, Honeynut! It's interesting to know that an irritated tube in the nose can cause so much trouble in the ears. I'll ask my allergist about it as soon as I can. Thank you!
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

I have a dust mite allergy and the difficulties with breathing and swallowing appear only when there is a lot of dust nearby. It happens sometimes if I'm at someone's dusty place but I take measures to avoid such a situation at home. First of all, you should keep your apartment clean every day. Wet cleaning is my life credo due to this disease... Here are some measures you should take to feel more comfortable. Good luck with it

Quote Originally Posted by TrustyHHZ View Post
    I have a dust mite allergy and the difficulties with breathing and swallowing appear only when there is a lot of dust nearby. It happens sometimes if I'm at someone's dusty place but I take measures to avoid such a situation at home. First of all, you should keep your apartment clean every day. Wet cleaning is my life credo due to this disease... Here are some measures you should take to feel more comfortable. Good luck with it
    Thank you, TrustyHHZ!! I appreciate your experience and your help. What kind of swallowing difficulties do you have? Does the dust make your throat feel like you're choking, or like it's inflamed, or weak?

I have this too! it feels like the back of my nose / throat is kind of blocked or has a lot of thick mucus there.

Do you notice mucus running down the back of your throat? I have this its called post nasal drip which is caused by allergies.

Thread Information