Thread: anyone had ECT?

anyone had ECT?

Did it work?

Re: anyone had ECT?

I've not had it personally, though a relative of mine had it many years ago for post-natal depression and found it helpful. It isn't used as often these days though and usually only given in more severe cases where other forms of treatment have failed.

Has this form of treatment been suggested for you or are you just curious?

No, it hasn't been suggested yet although I asked the psychiatrist yesterday. He said it's usually the last thing they try when all other options have been exhausted. I seem to be treatment resistant at the moment.

Thanks

As a treatment it has fallen out of favour due to advancements in other areas of psychiatry - improved medications, CBT etc. Its modern day image seems to be one of old heartless and cruel mental institutions dragging people off to 'shock them out of it' whether they consented or not. All I can say is it helped my Aunt, though current medical opinion is that it can impair memory, usually only short term, though others have stated longer term impairment. My Aunt was fine and recovered well. Like everything in life it is a risk. It just depends whether your distress is significant enough to risk the possible downsides. Exhaust all your other possibilities first and be guided by your psychiatrist. It can help, but does have risks attached, not something to be taken lightly.

Thank you. Yes, I presumed it was a last resort.

My mother had it long ago and I think it helped her more than she would admit. It is still used for people who are med resistant as a last resort but there are other possible things to like admittance to a hospital or EMT or surgery in some cases.

Thread Information