Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal? Bit scared by initial reaction

Is this normal? Bit scared by initial reaction

I was on a bit of a high yesterday after seeing the psychiatrist and he put me on Pregabalin - 75mg at night and 75mg morning. I slept lie the dead, woke up at 9.25am and took my morning dose which wiped me up until 11.25.

Feel VERY shaky and tearful and my BP and pulse are sky high. 132/96 and pulse of 116. Legs shaking. Has anyone else had this?

Thanks

Re: Is this normal? Bit scared by initial reaction

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Greycylinder - The first bit about being initially wiped out is a normal reaction, but the rest doesn't sound at all like pregabalin. I'm thinking it's more likely to be an anxiety spike that many people experience when starting on a new medication. Give it a day or two for your body to adjust both physically and psychologically, and hopefully you will start to see some benefits from pregabalin.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    Hi Greycylinder - The first bit about being initially wiped out is a normal reaction, but the rest doesn't sound at all like pregabalin. I'm thinking it's more likely to be an anxiety spike that many people experience when starting on a new medication. Give it a day or two for your body to adjust both physically and psychologically, and hopefully you will start to see some benefits from pregabalin.
    Thank you ! I've managed to get out and get around a supermarket but I feel like I'm on speed. Really weird.

Hi Greycylinder - The speed sensation is also another initial side effect, sometimes described as "temporary euphoria"! Things will settle after a few days, and hopefully you'll be feeling normal with much-reduced anxiety.

Thank you. This morning's readings were even worse. BP 191/101 and pulse of 93. It did settle down a bit last night to a slightly lower reading but didn't sleep very well. It's all very scary.

The very high blood pressure and high pulse rate are a worry, but are unusual to be caused by pregabalin. It works by blocking the release of several excitatory neurotransmitters, so should have an overall calming effect.

However, the change in neurotransmitters can cause a paradoxical effect in some people. Stick with it, if you can, for a few more days. If it's still causing problems after that, it may be time to review dosing or discontinuation. As always, you should do this in consultation with your doctor.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Greycylinder View Post
    Thank you. This morning's readings were even worse. BP 191/101 and pulse of 93. It did settle down a bit last night to a slightly lower reading but didn't sleep very well. It's all very scary.
    That is a dangerously high BP. If it stays anywhere near that reading, then you should see your GP ASAP.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Yes, I will give it another day then contact the doctor if it's still as high as that. My anxiety always spikes in the morning but I tend to calm down a bit in the evening but before medication my normal BP was on the low side 120/60 :(

Thanks all

Hi Greycylinder - Hope things are going okay. As pointed out above, if you have an abnormally high blood pressure that does not go down, you should see a doctor as soon as possible, immediately if you have any symptoms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information