Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convinced I have melanoma

Convinced I have melanoma

I have been suffering from lymph node related HA for several months now but gradually it's getting better. I haven't been to a doctor about such symptoms for a while and I have stopped poking around myself.

Now things went downhill. I had a Dr's appointment yesterday and a GP surgeon removed two benign miles from my back. While laying on the operation table, I was thinking about all kinds of things, including a few moles on my legs. I was about to ask the doctor about them when he was finished. But right when he sewed the wounds, he told a nurse to finish everything up and rushed out of the room because there was an emergency appointment he had to take care of. No moles checked for me.

Well when I arrived home, I for some reason started to Google pics of melanoma even though I have told myself to avoid Googling. I did what I did and now. I am convinced that the mole that wasn't checked is malignant. It does not seem like a really aggressive and discussing mole but if you don't compare it to pictures but just to written characteristics, it does indeed seem like one. It had two shades of brown, irregular borders and one spot is darker than the other. It hasn't changed (lately) though. The issue is that I have had it for as long as I can remember but I haven't paid attention to it. (I'm 20) I remember stumbling upon it when I was a kid but no idea what it seemed like back then. No doctor back then paid attention to any of my moles.

On top of that, there are some smaller black spots, potentially moles too, quite close to it. I have not seen them before that I can remember of. I am convinced they are melanoma satellites, which I read about on the net.

Am I being totally irrational. Should I appoint a new appointment soon to have them checked or should I wait until there is something more routine to discuss withstand doc and bring them up then?

Re: Convinced I have melanoma

Quote Originally Posted by kroppb View Post
    Am I being totally irrational.
    Well you are posting on an anxiety forum

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    Well you are posting on an anxiety forum

Positive thoughts
    I don't know how to stop this. I used a mobile app that does a mole assessment based on a photo by putting it through an artificial intelligence algorithm and it said "low risk" but then I scanned the mole again at it assessed it as "medium risk".

I feel your pain. I have huge mole anxiety!!! Try to nip it in the bud in it’s early stages and don’t let the mole anxiety grow! Stop googling and see your GP! I’m sure he will reassure you that everything is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Limeslime View Post
    I feel your pain. I have huge mole anxiety!!! Try to nip it in the bud in it’s early stages and don’t let the mole anxiety grow! Stop googling and see your GP! I’m sure he will reassure you that everything is fine!
    I just don't feel like meeting any health care providers for a while. I have seen a Dr so many time over the course of a year. And when it comes to reassurance, the power of it might fade away and new symptoms come up...

I totally understand that. I guess the only good thing about moles/melanoma-fear is that we have a visual aid and can monitor them. Just watch them for a month or two to see if they change. They probably won’t!!

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

But if they’re bigger than 6mm, don’t wait!

I totally understand that. I guess the only good thing about moles/melanoma-fear is that we have a visual aid and can monitor them. Just watch them for a month or two to see if they change. They probably won’t!!
    Thanks for reply. It helps a lot talking about this with someone.

I might give it a month, then make an appointment for a normal skin check. Most likely the wait for an appointment is a month, so it total two basically. People say melanoma is aggressive but not as some C's are.

I was told that like 10% of white people have irregular moles that are not malign. Most of them (or us) just don't pay attention to them. Hope this is correct.

The one that caused my worry is around 4mm X 3 mm. The small close to it is like 1 mm. The Dr removed a 7 mm mile from my back yesterday as I mentioned in my first post. It was benign but I'm waiting for the pathologist's opinion

If it’s only 4mm you can afford to wait a month! I’ve recently been referred to the melanoma clinic, and if the dermatologists want to “watch and wait” they tell you to come back in THREE months! Personally, I got told to come back in four weeks �� but the wait is really making my anxiety worse! Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is that you will definitely be ok to wait a month!

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

And I know your fear over the benign mole too. I had a 10mm one removed three weeks ago and I’m still panicking whenever the phone rings! It hadn’t changed in size for at least five years cos the GP had records, and I was always told it was benign but the HA in me is still expecting to hear otherwise!

If it’s only 4mm you can afford to wait a month! I’ve recently been referred to the melanoma clinic, and if the dermatologists want to “watch and wait” they tell you to come back in THREE months! Personally, I got told to come back in four weeks �� but the wait is really making my anxiety worse! Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is that you will definitely be ok to wait a month!
    You are being monitored by a professional. You shouldn't worry about it at this moment. No matter what, the doctor will see you later and you will together find out everything is fine.

I'll wait a while then. It really assures me that the local hospital was built just a few years ago, they have the latest equipment and event the staff seems really refreshed to work there. It might have some impact o things.

Anyhow, I am sure the mole I have is just an atypical mole but not yet malign but has the small potential to eventually develop. I will ask my GP about it whenever I can...

Waiting is the worst as you said, but focusing on other things helps.

May I also ask you, have you been to regular skin checks?

Not really. I don’t have private health care and my GP practice doesn’t offer them. I just check my own...which isn’t easy anymore now that I’m OCD with them. I paid £700 to have one removed privately for cosmetic reasons. I’ve had two removed at GP to calm my anxiety and I’ve removed four myself....which is why I’m now involved with the melanoma clinic because one grew back irregular shaped. I really need to sort myself out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information