Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diazepam withdrawl

Diazepam withdrawl

Hiya,

I have been on Diazepam for 7 years and i'm coming off now.I have got it down to 3 mg per day.

I drop at 1/2 a mg at a time and the withdrawl is horrendous, anxiety and panic attacks several times a day,stomach upset(maybe anxiety related),agitation,hot sweats and inability to concentrate on anything .

Please tell me i'm not the only one getting it this bad .

prism

Re: Diazepam withdrawl

hi prism
    i too had the awfull withdrawal symptoms from diazapam, never again would i ever use a medication like that, youre not alone and i do have every sympathy for what youre going through.

take care

denise

Well done for cutting down to 3mg, how long did it take you and how much were you taking before?

There is a brilliant forum just for helping people coming off benzos and I really would recommend that you join it as you will get immense support and advice from it http://www.benzoisland.org/benzoforum/

The one good thing about the benzo you are on is that it's the best one to taper off as it has a very long half life so gives a smoother taper than some of the other benzos.

Good luck

Hi Prizm, unfortunately what you are experiencing is perfectly normal. Horrendous, yes. I know, I was on it for 23 years before someone decided it was time for me to come off. I know every symptom, been through every horror, and it isn't easy, it is going to be one of the hardest things you have ever, will ever have to do. But it can be done. 7 years is a long time, your brain has receptors that need the diazepam, it will scream at you and make you feel ill in different ways, that is why you are slowly withdrawing.
    If you ever need someone to talk to, I would be happy to try to help. I would even give you my phone number, if you need someone just to try to get the panics under control. You are not dying and you are not going mad, that I promise you. You are going through one scarey withdrawal. You need to get a network of good friends around you, a good GP, No more panic will help a lot too. There are other medcines that can help a bit. There are tecniques you need to start learning now. Follow your GP's advise, but remember it is you who is going through this, you are going to be the most important person in your world for a while.
    I send you my love and if I could give you strength and support, it would be there for you.
    When you have finally beat this awful drug, your rewards will be huge.
    Carol. x

Thankyou Denise its nice to know it can be done.

Thankyou Lyn for the link.I have joined and working my way through the site for as much info as possible to help me.
    I was on 16mg 2 years ago and have slowly got it down to 3mg.
    t
    Thankyou both again .

prism

Just be aware that benzoisland isn't run by anyone with a medical background, they're just peoples opinions, some of which plenty of people don't agree with such as not taking any suppliments. They also actively censor posts that don't agree with their views (see their forum guidelines).

Personally I think it and it's sister site benzo.org.uk are sites I'd definately stear clear of.

Talk to a health professional, don't listen to a bunch of fanatics.
    Last edited by mkeeley; 13-07-07 at 23:17.

Hi,

I have been tapering from temazepam by switching to diazepam and then cutting down by 1 mg per week. I was on 60mg of Temazepam and am now on 16 mg of Diazepam. Like the last post I am wary of Benzoisland, while I have found a lot of their ideas great, sometimes i have been amazed at their very anti any type of meds for depression/anxiety etc.

I am on paroxetine and mianserin for agitated depression. Without those drugs I would be totally crazy and prob suicidal. Some of us need meds, whils some people get through with counselling. Everyone is different.

Just take care that you don't believe everything they say! At times I felt totally inadequate because of some very caustic comments.

Good Luck with the tapering, it gets harder as the doses get smaller and you may have to cut by just a 1/2 or even 1/4 mg at a time. You can get it in syrup form and measure it better with an oral syringe.

Well Done xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thankyou mkeely and bearcrazy for the advice about benzoisland,i'm a wary person by nature so i will treat its advice carefully.

I don't think i could taper as fast as they say to as every time i drop 1/2 a mg it messes me up for TEN weeks.I don't know why i should get withdrawal for that long but i do.
    I am also on Trazadone(i don't think it works) and trifluoperazine(which does work).Even these don't take the edge of it.
    I will keep dropping dose till i'm free of it(however long it takes).
    Bearcrazy i wish you well in your withdrawal .

prism

Prism have you read the the Ashton Manual? It does make very interesting reading and gives a lot of advice about tapering. She was the Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psychopharmacology at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, but I think she is retired now, or I could be wrong.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Hope it helps

Hi Prism,

Thanx for your best wishes in my battle against the 'evil benzo's'! Cut by 1mg last night to 16 mg and felt so ill today. Went out and couldnt concenrate, or walk in a straight line. Couldn't retrieve words that i wanted and looked drunk (I wish) at 9.am this morning. But I'm still determined that next week I'll make another cut so that I will be on target for having halved my dosage before I go on my hols.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information