Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Venlafaxine for agoraphobia

Re: Venlafaxine for agoraphobia

Quote Originally Posted by sammi85 View Post
    I know this is a old post but just wondered how you got on I suffer with anxiety and agoraphobia I'm just cutting back on my steraline and then docs are starting me on venlafaxine
    to No More Panic,

Anxious Betty and RHUBARB57 haven't be active for some time, which hopefully means they are doing okay.

Why are you switching from sertraline to venlafaxine?

I've been taking steraline for around 4 months now but not getting any benefits from it all gp says venlafaxine works better for anxiety

I've been taking steraline for around 4 months now but not getting any benefits from it all
    What was the highest sertraline dose you took and how long were you at that dose?

gp says venlafaxine works better for anxiety
    No antidepressant is intrinsically more effective than the others, either generally, or for a *particular disorder, however, one or two may be for an individual. The difficult bit is narrowing down which these are. There is currently no way of determining this except by trial and error, unfortunately.

* 2 for OCD may be the exception to the rule

100mg is the highest I've taken for 3 months doc didn't see the point increasing it if it's not doing anything for me. I was on citalopram for years but unfortunately stopped working

Hi Sammi, and welcome. When do you start on venlafaxine? I've been on various doses of it for a long time, and switched onto it from citalopram. I didn't have much of a problem with side effects, so hopefully you won't either, although it can take a while to settle. Are you having any therapy at all? I suffered with agoraphobia years ago and totally empathise, but am a huge believer of therapy (+/- meds) to help get over it.

I've got do a week of 25mg of steraline and then a week of nothing then I can start the venlafaxine. I'm having CBT at the moment but can't say I'm finding it that helpful x

100mg is the highest I've taken for 3 months doc didn't see the point increasing it if it's not doing anything for me. I was on citalopram for years but unfortunately stopped working
    I might have persevered at up to 200mg/day because higher doses are sometimes needed the second time ADs are taken, but switching is at least as valid an option.

I've got do a week of 25mg of steraline and then a week of nothing then I can start the venlafaxine.
    This isn't really necessary. In most cases switching from one SSRI to an equivalent dose of another overnight, or via a short cross taper produces few issues.

I'm really glad you're having CBT, although sorry to hear it's not helping. Give it time, or if you already have, maybe a different therapist would help. It took me a long time to recover from agoraphobia, and it was a slow process, but it is possible. Fingers crossed the venlafaxine will make things easier for you. Good luck.

Thank you I just cant wait till I'm feeling a bit like my old self again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information