Thread: Scared of mercury poisoning

Scared of mercury poisoning

This was kind of a new, random occurrence that happened just a couple of hours ago.

I like using fountain pens, and like to purchase different inks. Not too long ago I purchased a very cheap, obscure ink online, imported from China. after opening the bottle and filling my pen, I found a bunch of ink on my fingers.

Usually, this is no issue to me, as I play with lots of inks. However, since the ink is really cheap, my parents consistently tell me that chinese products contain led and mercury, and I just finished watching a documentary about Karen Wetterhahn, the professor who suffered from Dimethylmercury poisoning.

I dont have any symptoms, but I'm currently just sitting here at the computer dwelling on the thought and freaking myself out. I cant really find anything online that can ease my mind, especially considering how "unknown" the ink company is, even by google.

Re: Scared of mercury poisoning

What do your laws state about the safety of imported products? Country of manufacture is irrelevant in this respect as exporters have to adhere to the manufacturing standards of the countries they export to. Other than doing that, they are breaking the law.

Re: Scared of mercury poisoning

Quote Originally Posted by mexiquin View Post
    This was kind of a new, random occurrence that happened just a couple of hours ago.

I like using fountain pens, and like to purchase different inks. Not too long ago I purchased a very cheap, obscure ink online, imported from China. after opening the bottle and filling my pen, I found a bunch of ink on my fingers.

Usually, this is no issue to me, as I play with lots of inks. However, since the ink is really cheap, my parents consistently tell me that chinese products contain led and mercury, and I just finished watching a documentary about Karen Wetterhahn, the professor who suffered from Dimethylmercury poisoning.

I dont have any symptoms, but I'm currently just sitting here at the computer dwelling on the thought and freaking myself out. I cant really find anything online that can ease my mind, especially considering how "unknown" the ink company is, even by google.
    How are you holding up?

Thread Information