Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1

    How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    Hello,

    My GP has always said he won't prescribe more than a few diazepam for me because of addiction. I'm just wondered if some GP's will actually provide longer use of it? The reason I'm asking is because I'm in a really bad situation and can't take antidepressants because I'm intolerant to them.
    Many thanks in advance for any information.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,380

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    My GP will only prescribe me diazepam for medical tests and procedures. He will give me maybe 4. To be honest i think it's all a stitch up by pharmaceutical companies, yes benzo's are addictive but so are antidepressants, you have to taper off both of them, but they dish out antidepressants like sweets. Without doubt benzo's work better than anything else but it's all about how much money the pharmaceutical companies make.

    Maybe i'm just cynical

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    532

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by katebris View Post
    Hello,



    My GP has always said he won't prescribe more than a few diazepam for me because of addiction. I'm just wondered if some GP's will actually provide longer use of it? The reason I'm asking is because I'm in a really bad situation and can't take antidepressants because I'm intolerant to them.

    Many thanks in advance for any information.


    Hi

    Do you have a psychiatrist? Or just a Gp the reason I ask is a GP needs to adhere to the BNF which means prescribing an absolute maximum of 4 weeks usage and strength of tablets minimum effective so my GP will prescribe me at maximum 28 10mg diazepam lately even less maybe 14 tablets. But my psychiatrist has suggested longer term treatment with diazepam so will prescribe me a months worth of tablets and we have a consultation and he will prescribe another month but it comes with balancing tolerance and dependence issues which is tough

    You will not get relief from long term diazepam usage so maybe therapy can help or try a difference class of anti depressant moclobemide is meant to be really good!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    Just to say thank you for your replies much appreciated!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    532

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    My GP will only prescribe me diazepam for medical tests and procedures. He will give me maybe 4. To be honest i think it's all a stitch up by pharmaceutical companies, yes benzo's are addictive but so are antidepressants, you have to taper off both of them, but they dish out antidepressants like sweets. Without doubt benzo's work better than anything else but it's all about how much money the pharmaceutical companies make.

    Maybe i'm just cynical
    I agree :-)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    480

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    If i'm in a rough state, my doctor will give me a box to use SPARINGLY. As in, only when absolutely required if my panic attacks get to the point of making me hysterical.

    I got a fresh box 3 months ago and still haven't used any.

    Diazepam is an incredible drug, but only for dire circumstances. The more you take, the more you need next time for you to get the same effect.

    As mentioned as well, cost is probably a factor.
    __________________
    Current meds:

    Pregabalin 300mg

  7. #7

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    My GP prescribes me 28x 2mg Diazepam Tablets every 3 weeks. I take 2-3 tablets a day for muscle spasms. He has prescribed them to me regularly since June of this year. He has mentioned the risk of addiction but he knows how much the medication is helping me so I guess thatís why he is happy to continue to prescribe it. I also take Pregabalin 75mg for Mild General Anxiety twice daily.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    472

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    i've been prescribed 28 x 5mg for about 18 months now. I use them for exposure therapy to help with agoraphobia (under the advice of a psychiatrist and physiologist).

    Since i'm having them alongside therapy i'm just finding i'm gradually needing them less and less and often wish i hadn't taken as much before whatever thing im planning to do since they don't just kill anxiety then kinda kill all your emotions too (or at least they do for me).

    I haven't experienced any issues of tolerance but perhaps because i only take them every couple of days, very rarely 2 days in a row.

    I guess eventually i'll build up some or need to come off them slowly but in the mean time i feel its better to have some quality of life.

    They are a little demonized i feel but i guess because they are rather easy to abuse.
    __________________

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    , , Australia.
    Posts
    1,798

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mindprison View Post

    Diazepam is an incredible drug, but only for dire circumstances. The more you take, the more you need next time for you to get the same effect.

    As mentioned as well, cost is probably a factor.
    I've been on 5mg 2 x daily for 15 years with no need to increase.
    My GP prescribes 100 at a time with 3 repeats each time.
    __________________
    Don't believe everything you think.

    Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    472

    Re: How much diazepam will your GP prescribe?

    I haven't needed to increase either (in 18 months or so). Perhaps because my anxiety has gone down (therapy+hardwork) so i need it less.

    It's used for whatever you were prescribed it for. Mine certainly isn't for dire emergencies, it's been used as a tool to help me get back a good quality of life.
    __________________

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Are doctors reluctant to prescribe Diazepam? Any alternatives?
    By Manson in forum General Anxiety / Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-11-16, 17:04
  2. Why won't doctors prescribe diazepam?
    By Catherine84 in forum Panic / Panic Attacks
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 02-09-16, 08:01
  3. Getting my GP to prescribe me diazepam
    By Epsilon in forum Diazepam/Valium
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 22-10-11, 04:33
  4. My Dr won't prescribe this
    By Mogwog in forum Diazepam/Valium
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-12-10, 12:07
  5. Doctor wont prescribe me more diazepam. :(
    By panictyme in forum Diazepam/Valium
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-10-09, 18:12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •