Thread: Help, am I overreacting? :(

Help, am I overreacting? :(

Hi all, I suffer from Anxiety, severe agoraphobia, PTSD, Panic Disorder, OCD and various other phobias.
    I've been in the health system for a year and a half, after 9 months I was given a peer support worker who came to my home and discussed how my feelings were used to be/still are in some ways similar to her, and how she's over it now and it shouldn't let it affect me. I saw her about 5 times but every time she had been she would leave me in tears and in a panicked state feeling like how I'm feeling is utter none-sense and always compared, my care co decided to put a stop to the stress of it and since then all I've been given is some print out articles of way to make myself feel better from my care co-coordinator.

I've also been through 6 months private CBT and was handed back to my GP as I was 'too severe' and I previously had 3 x 6 sessions of CBT through the NHS.

I don't really cope with day to day living and every slightest sound sends me into a panic episode, I'm unable to bathe/eat without supervision so it really is quite severe anxiety.

I've been told this week from my care co. had I of been following all the articles and suggestions down to a 'Tee' I would be feeling better and seeing an improvement. I don't just sit at home and do nothing about it, I want a life and I try everything I can to make sure I have some quality of life, but I feel like I'm missing some extra support? I had a psychiatric assessment done in April 2017, and I really feel like they've played down my 'mental health' due to budget cuts. Every time I suggest perhaps trying counselling or EMDR, anything other than CBT as 'one shoe does not fit all' my care co. refuses and turns me away.

After saying if I have followed it to a 'tee' I would be better, she went on to say no matter how much professional input I'd ever get...I'll always be this bad state, and she suggested I enjoy being this way.

I couldn't believe it, I enjoy being this way? I'm sure we all take up anxiey, PTSD ect as a hobby, I certainly thoroughly enjoy it... NOT!!

I told my GP who had to laugh at what had been said and said he would write a letter to advise counselling, but at the end, it's not his decision, but he did say, in my notes it says I only want therapy or anything offered at home, (I did not suggest I only want things from home, so I'm not sure who put that on my notes) So this is certainly not the case, I'm willing to try to get to my local surgery for help and not rely on home visits, I can't go far from home due to my agoraphobia but local surgery is most realistic. That shows that I'm willing to do what it takes.

What does everyone else think to that? I feel so down about it all. I don't know where to turn for help.

Thank you for reading, sorry it was long, and this is a brief version!

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

I'd like to add that when I had CBT this was 6 years ago and for other anxiety needs which aren't as complex as how it's recently got.

The only thing I've had is the peer support worker telling me her life story since I have been admitted.

CBT was years prior to this.

Re: Help, am I overreacting? :(

I keep imagining your care coordinator pointing to a textbook and saying "it says right here you should be better!"

I hope your GP can get you some professional counseling.

Thread Information