Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Escitalopram and me: longterm anxious insomniac

Escitalopram and me: longterm anxious insomniac

Hello All.

I am currently on 10mg Escitalopram, it is my third day. Before that I had 5 mg for 4 days and 2.5 for 3 days.

I was on Seroxat and Zopiclone 3.75 for 10 years, then Trimipramine and the same Zopiclone for 10 years.

I had to stop Trimipramine in January (having tapered off) because of cost and availability reasons. Withdrawal was hell. Insomnia came back, I went up to 7.5 Zopiclone. I tried going drug-free but the insomnia and returning anxiety meant I knew I needed to take something. My Gp put me on Mirtazapine 7.5 which didn't help much. My psychiatrist moved me onto Amitriptyline because it's similar to Trimip. It helped with anxiety and sleep but gave me bladder issues. I was then moved onto the Escitalopram. Sleep hadn't been great up to now, but I managed with maybe 6 hours in 4 sections. Anyway, last night I couldn't sleep at all. Dropped off about 6 am for about 3 hours.

I know insomnia can be a side-effect of Escitalopram, but I so hope it will get better. The bladder issues are still with me and thought to be anxiety-related. My psych gave me some Lorazepam to help me out, but I haven't taken it as yet. I'm a bit scared of it.

Feeling battered and beaten at the moment. Every way I turn there seems to be a fresh problem. I'm like a hermit and have been for two months really.

Thank you for reading. Can anyone offer any advice/hope?

Re: Escitalopram and me: longterm anxious insomniac

I’m on Lexapro right now and I’m having the same issues as you, horrible insomnia. Supposedly it goes away after a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your reply. Are you on anything specifically for the insomnia like me?

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Sorry, also meant to ask what dose you're on?

Seroquel (anti-psychotic) is prescribed for insomnia, my therapist has told me. It might be worth looking into.

You can talk half of lorazepam at night. It will help you sleep. I did that when starting cipralex.

No, not on anything for the insomnia, sleeping pills have never worked for me. I'm on the lowest possible dose (5 mgs) and I take it in the mornings, so it's completely ridiculous why I can't sleep at all.

Thank you, Andre, I went ahead and took half a Lorazepam last night. Nothing seemed to happen so I took the other half. I certainly got some sleep, but I thought they were going to be really strong and knock me out. I've never taken a benzo before.

I haven't taken escitalopram (yet, I may be switching in a few weeks if my anxiety doesn't get better), but I have been on 40 mg of Citalopram for 5 years.

I had horrible insomnia for weeks after starting the Citalopram. Unfortunately, my doctor never mentioned it was a side effect of the medication. I thought I was getting worse, which was kind of a nightmare. When I went back in to the doctor after a week on Citalopram (at 20 mgs.), she upped me to 40! It was horrible. I did stick with it though.

For a few weeks, the only way I could sleep would be if I took Lorezepam AND Trazodone at night. Then I dropped down to using just Trazodone....and eventually nothing, once the Citalopram fully kicked in.

I've been on 10mg for three and a half weeks now so thought I'd update.

The sleeping has definitely improved. I take my Zopiclone and go to sleep within about 20-30 minutes. Up until the last two nights I've been waking three times. For the first week of this I would often lie awake for an hour or two each time. Then I started to go back to sleep pretty quickly. The last two nights I have only woken up twice. I'm getting about 7 hours a night, and I don't dread bedtime any more.

The nausea wasn't a big problem for me. I had it mildly at the beginning and when I raised the dose. Strangely it came back last Monday (2 and a half weeks in to 10mg) and has been getting me down. I have seen an improvement over the weekend though, so hope it is passing.

Bladder issues much improved, but this wasn't caused by the drug, it was anxiety.

Sweaty hands and feet gone! So weird but a real issue as my feet were sliding about in my shoes and giving me blisters.

My message would be to keep powering through the side effects. I just can't express how hopeful I now feel about my health and the future. I spent three months not living my life. I'm now looking forward.

Oh, and as far as weight goes: after putting on four stone (56 pounds) on medication and being stuck with it for 17 years, I have lost 24 pounds in three months. I don't know if the Escitalopram is just biding its time in this respect. I hope not!

Hi Sleepy! I was curious how you are doing now on the escitalopram? I still haven't switched yet (entering week 7 of this relapse, UGH), and the main reason is that I'm so afraid of getting really bad insomnia again! In fact, I've had to start taking my trazedone again at night due to anxiety over this, and just my regular anxiety.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information