Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Escitalopram and me: longterm anxious insomniac

Re: Escitalopram and me: longterm anxious insomniac

I've had a bit of jaw clenching on escitalopram, too. I did as well on citalopram; it did eventually go away. It seems to have gotten better on the escitalopram, but now with increasing doses I expect it to possibly come back again.

I think the jaw clenching could probably cause your symptoms, especially if you are clenching your jaw in your sleep.

Yes, I think so too, it would all make sense. I hope it does go away, along with the restlessness.

Good luck with your increases x

It’s been 2 weeks and 2 days on 15mg and it’s not going well.

I’ve been continuing to have ear/sinus issues and a general unwell feeling. Yesterday I was at a friend’s and I suddenly became aware of my speech, wondering if I could get my words out (I could), my legs felt weak, I felt unco-ordinated and my vision went strange. I was also very tired and lightheaded. This was definitely not a stressful environment. I do however feel this was all caused by anxiety. My son had just heard some bad news career-wise and was stressed and upset, and although I didn’t consciously feel anxious about it...well you know.

At home in the evening I felt bad again, felt I was starting to panic and took half a Lorazepam. I am very resistant to using these and have barely touched them, but I wanted to see if the problem was anxiety. After half an hour I did feel a bit better.

So is escitalopram not working for me? Is it a blip caused by the increase? Does it disagree with me? I really don’t want to have to taper off this and try something else, I want my life back. I haven’t been well since January. Advice anyone?

I'm sorry to hear it's not going well :-(.

I think your episode the other day was due to anxiety, not only caused by worry about your son's job situation, but also from the increase of escitalopram 2 weeks ago. Hopefully you are over the worst of it now, and should start to feel the benefits of the increase. It's such a shame that anxiety, depression, etc. usually get worse when increasing or starting these meds. I am hopeful that someday the scientists will invent an antidepressant that works immediately, or at least doesn't have any side effects!

Still feeling unwell. Last night I was just full of adrenalin, but not in a negative way, just really wired and hyper. Still like it this morning. Also still having sinus issues and painful ears. I’m seeing my psych in two weeks. I’ll just have to see what happens between now and then

Hopefully, it will all start to settle :-(.

Well here I am, 2 months on 15mg.

Horrible agitation, over-stimulated, wired. Twitching muscles, jaw-clenching, painful ears, sinuses. Anxiety’s fine though!

Woke ar 4am, that was it, too wired to go back to sleep. Today I decided to cut down to 12.5mg.

I’m fed up big time. The thought of having to change meds again makes me want to weep. I’ve already lost the whole of this year. I’m still unwell after over 6 months and we’ve got a holiday booked for September. I am absolutely dreading it.

Hopefully the decrease will help with the agitation!

Since you're decreasing, those side effects might go away really soon....maybe even in a few days. You could be doing great by the time your holiday comes around in September :-)!

Thank you for your support and sympathy, NervousKel.

Been on 12.5 for nearly a week now. Nothing has really changed. I did have some weird symptoms for two days: feeling faint, room spinning. A result of the reduction in dose, probably.

The wired feeling still features. I can’t relax, my head buzzes, I’m physically twitchy. The sinus/ear fullness and aching always accompany this feeling. Is it caused by tension and jaw-clenching? Still have raised sub-mental lymph node. Is this playing a part?

Seeing psych on Friday. Should I go down to 10mg? Wondering if this drug is going to be a keeper. I’ve been on it now for 5 months or something. Anxiety better but feel like hell.

Oh, that's too bad :-(.

It might be worth a shot to try going down to 10mg, and see if that helps. You could always go up again if the anxiety comes back.

It's so frustrating trying to find a med that will work, and without bad lingering side effects. Almost 3 months for me on escitalopram, and I don't feel any different than when I first started! I'm pretty sure I'll have to switch to something else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information