Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Escitalopram and me: longterm anxious insomniac

Re: Escitalopram and me: longterm anxious insomniac

Decided to stay on 12.5 for longer, then decreasing to 10 if the agitation doesn’t improve. If I’m finding it too distressing to live with, I may be giving Prozac a try.
    Marvellous.

I'm sorry you are still having issues with the agitation :-(. Hopefully a few more weeks at 12.5 will level things out. Maybe it's like starting or moving up a dose: you have to give it a good 6-8 weeks to see what happens?

Thought I’d write an update.

I’m still on 12.5mg of Escitalopram and a nightly dose of 7.5mg of Zopiclone. I still have jaw-clenching which I believe is what causes my ear and sinus problems.

Now for the amazing positives!

I sleep for 6-7 hours a night, wake nice and early (for me) between 7&8. I’m not groggy, or feeling miserable about the day ahead as I was on 10 years of Trimipramine.

I have such a thirst for new experience and an enthusiasm for life. No more sitting on the settee watching the hours tick by any more. I’m planning, looking forward, I’m excited about everything.

I’m driving again. I’m not anxious about it, I don’t dread it any more, I don’t clock-watch getting more and more anxious as the time approaches to get in the car. I drink so little now that I’m doing the driving when we go out, and am saving us a fortune in cabs.

I feel so alert. I’m sailing through cryptic crosswords, answering twice as many questions on University Challenge as I used to and my memory is sharp.

The last ten years were lived in a fog. I slept for 11-12 hours a night and my anxiety was dulled, but at what cost? I also had weight-gain, heart arrhythmia and dry mouth and eyes.

I’m still concerned about the jaw-clenching and the problems it causes, and I wish I could drink more than one glass of wine without feeling rubbish, but I’ll take it.

It’s taken at least six months on my escitalopram journey, but I’m glad I began it. My message is persevere. This drug is no quick fix, but it deserves a fair trial.

Hey Sleepy,
    Good to read your update - remember we were both fed up with the agitation and for me the twitches and jerks... my psych said to go back from 150mg sertraline to 100mg to see if it helped. It's been 2 weeks and it has helped but I'm not sure it's enough for the anxiety... She said if it didn't work to come off and try Pristiq. However, it pains me to have to go through withdrawals for weeks on end then start again :-(
    I have been living life and its been ok - but just still not quite there sustainably.
    I had a particularly rubbish anxiety fueled day today and I'm not sure if that is part of withdrawal, pmt or what's going on....
    Anyway - 9 months on and still can't make a decision!!
    Good job checking in again
    Lisa

Sleepy, that's great news!!! It sounds like you are doing wonderful!

I, too, am finding escitalopram to be a long haul :-)! It's definitely more of a slow burner than a quick fix, at least for me!

Lisa-
    I know just how you feel. I desperately don’t want to change meds with all that involves. I’m still considering dropping to 10mg to see if that helps with the jaw-clenching, but am worried about anxiety returning. It seems to be such a fine balance. Keep in touch.

NervousKel-
    Are you still planning to stay on it? I’ve dropped my Zopiclone now by 25%. I’d like to at least get down to 3.75mg a night, but I’m not rushing it.

I went on a plane last week and was quite relaxed! Side-effects (ENT issues) weren’t good while I was away, but then I did have a bit of Cava every day! Back on the wagon now. Alcohol and escitalopram are definitely a bad mix.

Best wishes and positive thoughts to you both xx

I’m still here!
    Still on escitalopram, but I’ve recently gone down to 10mg as the wired feeling never went away, nor the sinus/ears thing. Still on 7.5mg Zopiclone and sleeping patchy.

My anxiety has been nonexistent for many many months now, so I’m hoping I can get away with less esc.

My psyc tells me I’m unlucky with the side-effects I suffer from as most of his patients don’t.

How are you, NervousKel?

After two weeks on 10mg, I feel much better. The agitation has reduced dramatically and the ent symptoms have improved.

Has anyone else had these problems while on higher doses? Is anyone on 10 or less and finding the drug still helps their anxiety?

Still on 10mg. Anxiety still good but ent symptoms persisting. I have a cracked tooth from jaw-clenching and the dentist believes my fissured tongue is also caused by the escitalopram. Am I the only one here to experience this?
    Still contemplating a switch to Prozac. The ordeal fills me with dread.

Ditching the Escitalopram and tapering on to venlaflexine.

This thread is done. Over and out.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information