Thread: Getting desperate! Citalopram with mirtazapine increased anxiety

Getting desperate! Citalopram with mirtazapine increased anxiety

Hello, I'm posting for the first time. I've Often sought out advice by reading these boards but now I am desperate for answers so am posting - apologies if this has been posted before. I have been on citalopram for nearly 20 years! I felt it had stopped working about a year ago and was put on 15mg mirtazapine and dropped to 20 citalopram for a couple of months then due to not getting better I went back up to 40mg citalopram with an increase of 30mg mirtazapine and ever since then I have been going through the worst anxiety or it could be depression I'm not sure what it is! Crying, panicking, suicidal ideation, awful. I was advised to stop citalopram completely and take higher dose of 45mg mirtazapine but the idea of just stopping citalopram like that terrifies me. I wonder if anyone has any advice, or experience of this combination I just don't know what to do. Could I even keep 40mg citalopram and take 45mg mirt or is that just too much!?

Re: Getting desperate! Citalopram with mirtazapine increased anxiety

Hi

I am in a similar situation and I found the higher dose of cit was too much.

Thinking back have you had any CBT or Therapy or can you think why you feel this way? Recently I have been going back into my past and it's painful but helps a little I guess.

Your up and downing of dosages and adding new meds is causing you to have all those yuck feelings your going thru..bid dosage drops or ups cause havoc on your system..I wouldn't quit taken cit.that will cause more havoc ..and as far as the mirtazapine..I didn't do well with that med..I lasted one week..take care.

Thank you for your replies. I thought I would update. I spoke with 3 different docs all of whom said that taking these two ADs together was a very bad idea! (I shall have to educate my own GP about that then! ��) advised to stop citalopram, the mirtazapine would relieve the withdrawal symptoms of the citalopram and have diazepam prescription just in case... I was very worried about it but I am amazed to say that I feel... good! No citalopram just 30mg mirtazapine. So far so good, I am already so far away from the suicidal mess I was at the beginning of the week. Fingers crossed I've turned a corner. I hope this helps anyone else in this position.

Get off the drugs it won’t help anxiety. Anxiety is all in the mind. Think positive and keep exercising to release endorphins. Anxiety won’t beat us.

How long are you on mirtazapine for?

Thread Information