Thread: Dysthymia fear

Dysthymia fear

Hello,

This is my first post on here and was just looking for a bit of positivity and reassurance.

A little under two months ago I started to feel not great. Anxious, unmotivated and lacking the same enjoyment I usually get from things. It's not gone completely, things on tv still make me laugh sometimes etc, but there's just not the same level of feel good I used to get, if that makes sense.

It's been unpleasant and energy sapping but I went through something similar 10 years ago which eventually lifted after 4 or 5 months so I drew some comfort from that. I've tried to keep going places and seeing people in the hope it will kickstart my endorphins like it eventually did last time.

The longer it doesn't really however the more worried I get it's forever. Now I've stumbled across this dysthymia thing, which allows people to function with some difficulty like me at the moment but can drag on for years.

It may seem extreme to be worrying about something that lasts at least 2 years after 2 months but anxiety is one of my existing problems. I'd love to thought challenge it like I do with other fears but I just keep running into more stories of it always being there and never really going away.

I already have 2 disabilities and anxiety, having a good time is all that keeps me going often and knowing that I will recover gets me through episodes like this. This mood disorder and the fear I have it takes both those things away.

Any constructive advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: Dysthymia fear

Hi Andy 86

I am currently going through an anxiety/depression episode myself and the thing to hold on to is the fact that you have been through it before and recovered. Having read the description of Dysthmia it could well apply to me, however I don't ever take much stuff like that on board. I mean 2 years 2 months is very specific - it sounds more like a prison sentence than a medical diagnosis! Accept you are going through a bad patch and keep doing your best to help get yourself out of it. See your GP if you've not already done so and be guided by the advice they give you. Take up any treatments they offer you that you feel are appropriate and see how you go from there. Don't rely on Dr Google. Dysthmia is at the end of the day just another label. My anxiety state means I have elements of just about every ailment here on the NMP forum! Dysthmia is just another to add to the list! Even if you do think you have dysthmia, it doesn't mean you will have it for a set period and longer term anxiety/depression is often successfully treated with anti-depressants, e.g. SSRIs, so you wouldn't necessarily be ill for the whole time. Do you currently take or have you taken medication in the past to help you?

I have had dysthemia, its basically are near constant low mood. No ebbing or flowing just low. Mine lasted for months and i was on 500mg of venlafaxine which actually really helped. My diagnosis was from a psychologist. If you feel really bad see if you can be referred to a mental health team. Im on the edge of it again and i dont know what to do. Back then it was different but now i have a house, 3 year old son and a partner who is going through a difficult time and i dont want to burden anyone with my problems again :(

Hi Whitedeth

Maybe you should see the GP about going back on the meds? If You're on the edge and going through a tough time it might help you through? I find added stresses make my condition a hell of a lot worse.

Thread Information