Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    73

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by bulan View Post
    Thank you, Dibbler!

    You are most welcome.

    Thinking about what your first post on how suggestible you can be I have often wondered why I can be affected so and yet often lack the feelings of complete trust and faith in what doctors or specialists are telling me. That is only a broad generalisation but the powers of suggestibility doesn't seem to extend completely to those who I seek for professional help. There is always a prevailing doubt.

    Best wishes

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Well I've got oesophageal motility issues going on and last Tues I swallowed a couple of digestive enzyme pills without enough water and dashed out the door! Twenty minutes later I was in extreme pain, even swallowing saliva hurt ... I had pill induced oesophagitis (self diagnosed) so lesson learned. It's taken 5 days to get better :(

    People with motility issues are more likely to get pill induced oesophagitis so it brought home to me just how important it is to take meds/any pills with a full glass of water. I won't be making that mistake again.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    73

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Well I've got oesophageal motility issues going on and last Tues I swallowed a couple of digestive enzyme pills without enough water and dashed out the door! Twenty minutes later I was in extreme pain, even swallowing saliva hurt ... I had pill induced oesophagitis (self diagnosed) so lesson learned. It's taken 5 days to get better :(

    People with motility issues are more likely to get pill induced oesophagitis so it brought home to me just how important it is to take meds/any pills with a full glass of water. I won't be making that mistake again.
    My wife is still surprised that I can take a handful of pills dry, without much issue. Of course it is easier with a glass of water.

    She, and our eldest daughter, have very real issues taking tablets. My wife will always buy capsule shaped paracetamol to help, as an example, but has to be completely upright and drink the tablets down with a full glass of water. It has thankfully improved somewhat for her but in the past the amount of water she needed to drink before they would go down fully for her was beyond just a glass or two. Finding capsule / caplet shaped alternatives as helped.

    Our eldest daughter often finds the tablets are still there and become stuck. Thankfully she doesn't need to take regular medication but if she has needed to do so, and there isn't a liquid alternative, it is a major issue for her to take them without discomfort.

    Best wishes

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbler View Post
    My wife is still surprised that I can take a handful of pills dry, without much issue. Of course it is easier with a glass of water.

    She, and our eldest daughter, have very real issues taking tablets. My wife will always buy capsule shaped paracetamol to help, as an example, but has to be completely upright and drink the tablets down with a full glass of water. It has thankfully improved somewhat for her but in the past the amount of water she needed to drink before they would go down fully for her was beyond just a glass or two. Finding capsule / caplet shaped alternatives as helped.

    Our eldest daughter often finds the tablets are still there and become stuck. Thankfully she doesn't need to take regular medication but if she has needed to do so, and there isn't a liquid alternative, it is a major issue for her to take them without discomfort.
    Best wishes
    Yes so does my partner, I'm always telling him to take more water! My specialist told me that being female was the first reason for my swallowing issues, then having CFS (autoimmune condition) which affects mainly females, then increasing age!! However, even younger women (and men) can have these difficulties.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    73

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Yes so does my partner, I'm always telling him to take more water! My specialist told me that being female was the first reason for my swallowing issues, then having CFS (autoimmune condition) which affects mainly females, then increasing age!! However, even younger women (and men) can have these difficulties.
    Our eldest daughter is 34 and I do remember when she first approached her teens she had horrendous problems trying to swallow her migraine medication. Thankfully for her those migraines that she suffered from quite badly seemed to stop over time. Her ability to swallow medication hasn't improved much as she has grown older.

    My wife has resorted at times to place a tablet into a piece of bread to swallow, to try and help her with some non coated tablets which seem to stick.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,111

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Rolling the pills (even oval ones) in butter or margarine works well. Also making sure you have some water first before taking the pills helps. The other option is to take them with food and water

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    73

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    Rolling the pills (even oval ones) in butter or margarine works well. Also making sure you have some water first before taking the pills helps. The other option is to take them with food and water
    Good points and I will tell me wife that as her cod liver oil capsule is quite large in size.



    Going back to what you have written about the difficulty to swallow pills and what a specialist had told you, the part about being female contributes to this issue.

    I remember talking to a GI specialist, after having a colonoscopy and CT scan etc, about another issue that I have and that is Proctalgia Fugax, most painful.
    He told me that the greatest numbers of those who experience this are female. However over time he has had cause to rethink that as he now believes that it is more typical of a man to not go to the doctors to talk about such issues. So even though it is more typical for a female to present these issues to him he is now aware of more males with this condition, as the years have passed during his practice.

    I reckon that I'm not just typical of a man.....!

    Just a thought

  8. #18

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Yeah, you are right but so difficult to have a break from it. For myself things and anxiety come up when you least expect them. I might wake up in the middle of the night inn absolute panic and confused not understanding what is happening and that's when is difficult trying to control your feelings as you don't start from a rational mind but from a mindfulness that is broken for whatever reason. How do you cope when that happens? At times I am fearful of falling asleep because I know that I might wake up in a panic and cannot control that moment of when it happens. So if I have about for or 5 hours sleep and then wake whether in a panic or not I tend to get up and start my day although I do feel really tired later on but at the same time I know it can be scary for me to fall asleep again! This is so debilitating that at present I cannot go to bed with my wife anymore in the upstairs room because I do not want to disturb her or the children when they are asleep in case I wake up in a panic. Getting really desperate! Seeing my doc again this afternoon as I heard from a friend that he had similar symptoms whch then disappeared after he saw a doc gastroenterologyst and after a few tests they found out he was allergyc to fructose. Once he eliminated this from his diet it all disappeared as if by magic! Will ask my doc if possible to look at other avenues cos at present I only saw an ENT specialist and he could not find anything wrong with me. Will let you know.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    376

    Re: Swallowing trouble, and the power of suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by luigi44 View Post
    Yeah, you are right but so difficult to have a break from it. For myself things and anxiety come up when you least expect them. I might wake up in the middle of the night inn absolute panic and confused not understanding what is happening and that's when is difficult trying to control your feelings as you don't start from a rational mind but from a mindfulness that is broken for whatever reason. How do you cope when that happens? At times I am fearful of falling asleep because I know that I might wake up in a panic and cannot control that moment of when it happens. So if I have about for or 5 hours sleep and then wake whether in a panic or not I tend to get up and start my day although I do feel really tired later on but at the same time I know it can be scary for me to fall asleep again! This is so debilitating that at present I cannot go to bed with my wife anymore in the upstairs room because I do not want to disturb her or the children when they are asleep in case I wake up in a panic. Getting really desperate! Seeing my doc again this afternoon as I heard from a friend that he had similar symptoms whch then disappeared after he saw a doc gastroenterologyst and after a few tests they found out he was allergyc to fructose. Once he eliminated this from his diet it all disappeared as if by magic! Will ask my doc if possible to look at other avenues cos at present I only saw an ENT specialist and he could not find anything wrong with me. Will let you know.
    Luigi44, I'm so sorry I missed your last post! How are you feeling now? How did things go with your doctor?
    __________________
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. the power of suggestion...
    By backfromthebrink in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-03-13, 08:39
  2. The Power of Suggestion.
    By joebloggs in forum Top Tips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-12-12, 18:04
  3. The power of suggestion :(
    By smcc8172 in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-10-08, 19:11
  4. The power of suggestion
    By veebee in forum Health Anxiety
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-08, 21:31

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •