Thread: Numbness and detachment

Numbness and detachment

Hi guys! Over the past week or so my anxiety has flared up due to the anticipation of going back to work and college after these Easter holidays, and I've been in a bad mental state as a result. Been through the usual panicky moments, chest tightness, tension headaches, etc.

However, two nights ago, during a particularly panicky episode, I got out of the shower and just felt as though I lost the feeling in my body and face? They weren't numb as they would be if one was to have pins and needles, but they just didn't feel like my body parts or my face? It's so strange to describe!

Additionally, I got really out of breath and suddenly felt extremely detatched from the situation. As though I was watching myself from inside my head. Throughout the next day I would have frequent moments where I realised my body didn't feel like it was there/mine? For example, my tongue felt foreign just resting in my mouth, and my neck wouldn't feel like anything at all.

It's the strangest and scariest experience, and it's lessened now, but I can feel it creeping back with every moment of panic I go through. Does anyone know what this could mean? Is this depersonalisation?

Re: Numbness and detachment

It's absolutely depersonalization. It is, in my opinion, one of the scariest anxiety symptoms and one that I have been dealing with on and off for weeks no. It can persist, and one theory I read is that we are so involved in our own anxious thoughts that it makes our perception shift - I have also read it is our nervous system trying to numb us to fear.

Either way, it is definitely part of anxiety, even though it is a very scary part. Hang in there - it will pass and you can get through this.

Thread Information