Thread: Relapse...Colon/rectal cancer worries and more...DONT READ IF YOU'RE EASILY TRIGGERED

Relapse...Colon/rectal cancer worries and more...DONT READ IF YOU'RE EASILY TRIGGERED

LOTS of TMI in this post, warning you now...I feel so alone, terrified, and depressed. I cry almost everyday. Where to begin...I don't know if this is rock bottom as I thought I had hit rock bottom before, but in terms of checking it's definitely rock bottom for me. It has been a LONG 7 months for me. I realize I have been convinced I have every type of cancer there is and some other debilitating diseases over these past 7 months. The last few months have taken a dark turn into me believing I have some sort of cancer.

I have been going to a therapist for CBT since November. I have read a book about panic and haven't had a panic attack since January so that is progress. I am now on day 2 of the Anxiety Guy's "end the anxiety program". I am trying. And also failing, miserably, and I am pretty ashamed of how I am right now.

A month ago or so I went to the doctor, fearing anal cancer or something, and he told me I have an external hemorrhoid, I can leave it there, it's not a problem. Okay fine, fear alleviated and I'm going to have it removed in a couple months. Then...while I was wiping a couple days ago, I thought I felt something else in my anus other than my hemorrhoid. I tried to calm myself down by feeling around to see if it was a bone or something normal, and after some checking it seemed all was normal. BUT in the process of trying to calm myself down, (very TMI here) I was poking up my anus pretty far and discovered something hard/firm up there, and since I am now a self-proclaimed expert in anatomy (poking fun at myself here), this hard/firm thing I felt must have been located in the rectum, not the anus. SOOO cue the freaking out about how I must have colon/rectal cancer at 29 (will be 30 in August) because I couldn't quite find what the hell this firm/hard area might be. The only (trying to be rational) conclusion I could come to is that they are the rectal valves that hold the poo in but I can't get a good answer on whether or not they are actually firm. I'm going to a doctor to see if he will try to feel what I'm talking about since I had to stick my entire middle finger up there to feel it.

After my self "examination", which I did on and off for a day or two because I just had to be certain of how it felt and kept trying to figure out what the heck it was, I noticed that a few of my bowel movements had a string of mucus on them, which caused me to freak out more. And if that all wasn't enough, what was rock bottom for me for checking? I did the one thing I swore I wouldn't do that I had seen other people on here talking about doing. I fished my poo out of the toilet and checked through it. I am thoroughly ashamed. I didn't see any blood, just a couple strings of mucus, but if I had just looked at it from afar, it would have looked just light brown. But no, I had to look through it, and up close it looked greenish/brown with what looked like specks of pepper, and one tiny spot that looked grey, but it might have been greenish, it's hard to say. The shape of it was fine, I don't have diarrhea or anything and it's not skinny poo.

So I started freaking out about cancer because they always say black means internal bleeding, my poo wasn't black, but it had the black pepper specks and I have no idea if it was food or if that's normal or what because I've never looked through my poo before because before 7 months ago I was a normal human being. And I haven't looked through my poo since then, but it seems to be a light brown with no blood and the occasional string of mucus and I'm not going to get any closer to inspect it.

So because of my "examination" (presumably) my anus has been more tender and burning the last couple days. I don't know if this is something to be concerned about? The burning? I also have been getting a feeling of "fullness" in the anal region as well, if that makes sense.

I am also scared because I get A LOT of upper abdominal gas pains lately, especially when I wake up in the morning. Also, in the area right in between my rib cages (presumably where the stomach or possibly the colon is) it gets firm sometimes and it seems to be when I have gas but not always, and then it goes away. But then I checked my abdomen and I felt like I could feel my colon and that it felt kind of firm. Isn't everything supposed to be squishy??

And to add in a cruel twist, and I feel completely insensitive saying this because I feel awful for him, we were talking to my husband's parents last night and apparently my husband's uncle was just diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer at 48, and he had NO SYMPTOMS until recently when he had some upper abdominal pain

I am terrified and feeling completely alone. I plan to ask my doctor about this stuff but I'm so scared of what I'll hear. I even booked my own colonoscopy because I am that terrified, but I have to wait until June 20th I hate this so much

Re: Relapse...Colon/rectal cancer worries and more...DONT READ IF YOU'RE EASILY TRIGG

I don't know what to say really. You're creating an alternate reality to feed your fears and engaging in self examination rituals that are exasperating your anxiety. It's good that you're in CBT but more action is needed IMO. Are you on medication?

I would cancel an expensive procedure you don't needand see your GP about your anxiety. Perhaps professional intervention could get you the help you need.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Relapse...Colon/rectal cancer worries and more...DONT READ IF YOU'RE EASILY TRIGG

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I don't know what to say really. You're creating an alternate reality to feed your fears and engaging in self examination rituals that are exasperating your anxiety. It's good that you're in CBT but more action is needed IMO. Are you on medication?

I would cancel an expensive procedure you don't needand see your GP about your anxiety. Perhaps professional intervention could get you the help you need.

Positive thoughts
    Fishmanpa,

how am I creating an alternate reality? I don't understand. I felt what I felt and now I'm terrified that what I felt is cancer...

Quote Originally Posted by CG5246 View Post
    how am I creating an alternate reality? I don't understand. I felt what I felt and now I'm terrified that what I felt is cancer...
    Quote Originally Posted by CG5246 View Post
    A month ago or so I went to the doctor, fearing anal cancer or something, and he told me I have an external hemorrhoid, I can leave it there, it's not a problem.
    You have NO IDEA what you felt and I'd bet the house it's just an internal hemorrhoid. You've taken something you have no knowledge of, engaged in extreme self examination behaviors and convinced yourself it's cancer! That's creating an alternate reality!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You have NO IDEA what you felt and I'd bet the house it's just an internal hemorrhoid. You've taken something you have no knowledge of, engaged in extreme self examination behaviors and convinced yourself it's cancer! That's creating an alternate reality!

Positive thoughts
    I'll give you that I did an extreme self examination and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be feeling. I don't think it's an internal hemorrhoid though, since it was firm and didn't feel like one at all.

I really don't know what I felt and if it's supposed to be there or not and that's what's scaring me.

I have my own bowel cancer fears on going (to the point I've got to decide if I want to spend 2 grand on a colonoscopy in an attempt to stop my head coming off

I would say however black specks doesn't exactly mean blood? It can be food or anything. I have quite dark dodgy looking stools at times.. But then it occurs to me I've ate a load of blueberries or something to that effect. I think green is also a perfectly acceptable stool coloir anyway

Also if you had a tumour in your rectum I'm guessing you would have questionable shaped stools from having to work its way round the mass

I know how you feel though, I've had some ongoing issues for nearly 3 months. I want some answers but I'm terrified to go get them and with all my googling I really can't come up with any sort of explanation.. Its either the world's longest lingering ibs attack or.. Cancer

Quote Originally Posted by anom View Post
    I have my own bowel cancer fears on going (to the point I've got to decide if I want to spend 2 grand on a colonoscopy in an attempt to stop my head coming off

I would say however black specks doesn't exactly mean blood? It can be food or anything. I have quite dark dodgy looking stools at times.. But then it occurs to me I've ate a load of blueberries or something to that effect. I think green is also a perfectly acceptable stool coloir anyway

Also if you had a tumour in your rectum I'm guessing you would have questionable shaped stools from having to work its way round the mass

I know how you feel though, I've had some ongoing issues for nearly 3 months. I want some answers but I'm terrified to go get them and with all my googling I really can't come up with any sort of explanation.. Its either the world's longest lingering ibs attack or.. Cancer
    Yes I would think so but this whole thing with my husband’s uncle having no symptoms until it was stage 4 is reallyyyy getting to me. Also I don’t understand why I feel like I can feel my colon in my upper abdomen, like it feels sort of firm. I’m scared.

My upper abdomen feels hard/full/bloated (all the way across just under my ribs) and my lower left part where I have my ache is harder than the rest of it.. Its quite easy to feel the difference

I've had 2 doctors and a GI consultant have a poke all the way around my abdomen and despite me expecting to pass comment.. None of them have said anything more than "feels OK"

I don't know what to make of it!.. Maybe us none medical folk attach ourselves onto something that really isn't even an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by anom View Post
    My upper abdomen feels hard/full/bloated (all the way across just under my ribs) and my lower left part where I have my ache is harder than the rest of it.. Its quite easy to feel the difference

I've had 2 doctors and a GI consultant have a poke all the way around my abdomen and despite me expecting to pass comment.. None of them have said anything more than "feels OK"

I don't know what to make of it!.. Maybe us none medical folk attach ourselves onto something that really isn't even an issue!
    Hmm, thank you for sharing that. I mean if you’ve had 2 doctors and a GI consultant poke your abdomen then I’d say your abdomen feels fine.

I often wonder how long I’ve even been experiencing these same symptoms since I know I’m hypersensitive to everything now. I also find that I “discover” things when they’ve likely been there for years or possibly my whole life...I just never paid this close of attention before so I feel like I keep finding new things when I’m not.

But I’m still really unsure of why I can feel something firmer than everything else in my upper abdomen. It’s not just gas, although I get a firm gas bubble in that area a lot, it’s something firmer than the rest and it feels like it might be my colon. I’m scared to google. Although I am already worried about the worst case

I think I've started down this hypersensitive road which I Hate.

I know when I first got my ache lower left I presumed thats it, bowel cancer I'm dead (I'm actually not much further along in that regard)

Then I tried to be rational about things, I like being rational and working things out logically. I've never noticed any blood in my stool which has almost kept me sane, I've also had a blood test in febuary, I was told it was normal/satisfactory which tells me I'm probably not anemic so It's probably not microscopic bleeding...

I convince myself I've got an obstruction but the more you read into obstructions its more colicky type pains as the bowel is trying to contract to expel whatever is..there (not what I have at all), also if it was large enough to cause bloating/discomfort it must be a good size so it should either cause very small stools or I'd perma constipated. I have difficult going at times, especially if the stool softener hasnt worked its way through but I'm going daily and size wise I don't think they are too bad (albeit occasionally a little annoyingly flat)

I still think I have cancer though, and yes I'm finding new and interesting bumps and symptoms. I've got bloating further round my bowel now - rationally its probably IBS or something but no I'm convinced my cancer has spread to my liver. I also have found in my prodding and poking what appears to be a lymph node which I'm sure I couldn't feel before, I'll probably find something else today in my prodding session!

If you google, you've got cancer, I wouldn't even bother googling or if you are going to do it just accept the top/main result will be cancer it probably is for just about every symptom going. Try and look for the other things, I'm trying to convince myself its either IBS or some sort of diverticular disease (the low level chronic one would fit my symptoms quite well) - worryingly the consultant didn't even suggest that as a possibility and it doesn't really add up with all my new symptoms but it may well be a lot of our problems are anxiety related!

Thread Information