Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I haven’t brushed my teeth for a few years. And I’m afraid of losing them.

I haven’t brushed my teeth for a few years. And I’m afraid of losing them.

Don’t worry, I’m going to the dentist in two days so I’ll update later on. The reason why I posted this thread is to lower my fears before going to the dentist. Basically so I don’t go to an extremely quick conclusion to what’s going to happen next. So like the title, I’m very scared of losing my teeth. Here are my symptoms so far:
    - Gum disease. (Bleeding gums for a few years.)
    - Skinny gums.
    - Yellow teeth (mostly)
    - Cavities (At the left and right side of my mouth.
    - Sensitive teeth
    - Exposed roots (at the top and bottom of my front teeth)

So why didn’t I brush my teeth for a few years? Well if I have to be honest, I don’t know. I thought maybe it’s because I didn’t think it’s too important that time, because nobody told me the huge dangers of brushing my teeth. Maybe it’s because I was depressed. Maybe it’s because I forgot to. Whatever that maybe, I’m scared of losing my teeth.

Re: I haven’t brushed my teeth for a few years. And I’m afraid of losing them.

Well....this is an unexpected post.

It sounds like your choice not to brush has had some ramifications. I am so glad you are going to the dentist and, at this point, you are just going to have to take it as it comes. If you lose your teeth, you lose your teeth. You will have no choice but to accept it and move on. If the worst happens, you will need to make decisions about dentures or implants and I am sure the dentist will have ideas. You will adapt and it will be okay.

Have you considered therapy? You neglected to do basic self-care for quite a long time, so it might be helpful to figure out how not to fall back in that place again.

I wish you good luck and good news tomorrow!

Wellllllll, now........I need to just say congratulations on taking the brave step to go to the dentist. That is a courageous step after neglecting your oral hygiene for so long, and shows that you are now ready to take responsibility for your health in a way that will be beneficial for you. Have you really not brushed at all in years ?

I hope that the situation isn't as bad as you envisage, and you will be surprised at how much can be 'saved' with some expert care from a good dentist and hygienist. I know you say you are scared of losing your teeth, but that kind of depends on how badly the gum disease has progressed. When it becomes very advanced the tissue around the tooth, and eventually the boney socket is attacked by the bacteria and teeth becomes loose. You aren't saying teeth feel lose,so maybe you have lucked out and the gums can be brought back to health ? One thing is for sure, if you are scared of loosing teeth, then making that appointment was critical and leaving it any longer would eventually result in tooth loss.

Please do come back and update, I'd be interested to hear how you got on.

I wouldn't worry about it too much hack and I don't think anyone here can reprimand you for not brushing your teeth all that time. I have been guilty of it myself when i've been at my lowest, my dentist said the same thing to me, when you have mental health problems and are struggling to even get out of bed, it's not uncommon for you to neglect your teeth or other forms of personal hygiene.

While you most likely do have a fair bit of work that will need to be done, dentists are very very good at saving teeth thanks to modern advancements. In my experience, dentists will absolutely not pull teeth out unless there is zero chance they can be saved.

I recently had a hole in my back tooth so large that it had eroded almost the entire front part, my dentist was not sure if it could be saved but tried anyway. It's been 8 months and the filling is still holding strong, so there you go!

Pregabalin 300mg

It's good that you are admitting to yourself that you have a problem to tackle. Like MindPrison says, many of us will have been here with hygiene. I remember going weeks without shaving, months without a change of clothes, over a month without showering (just sink washes), etc. Anxiety & depression can do this to people.

You do need to look at how to take control of your brushing now. If it's too much to do it twice a day or do flossing/brushing/mouthwash then try to create a plan to get back into routines bit by bit and once you are doing it all, it will just stick with you unless you have major setbacks that cause spirals again. Then you just work on the plan again.

Thanks to everyone who posted. The dentist was the most disappointment I’ve ever been in. Not only was the doctor rude, but he took out something from my mouth between my teeth. And that’s all he did! He didn’t even perform anything else other than a teeth X-ray! That was the worst appointment ever. AND NOW I’M EVEN MORE FRIGHTENED TO DIE FROM GUM DISEASE I HAVE FOR A FEW YEARS

Do you really think a dentist let you walk out the door with a potentially fatal case of gum disease?

I did not like the dentist I go to. It looked very shady and bland. The doctor has no sympathy at all. Not even depression out of all things. At least the X-ray said there’s nothing going on the roots, but **** I’m scared.

Are there other dentists in your area? I'm sure there is. You should schedule an appointment with someone else and see if you like them better. Don't worry dentist love patients who want to keep their teeth they make more money that way lol. I know how depression and anxiety can make you not want to do anything. That includes hygiene lol . You just got to be like Nike and JUST DO IT. Lol I tell myself this when runn8ng or lifting don't think about it just do it. Don't worry you can save your teeth if you want to. You gonna have to start brushing and flossing them though lol. Like I said make it a habit by just doing it don't think about it.

I agree with nivekc251

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information