Thread: Home from Center Parcs.....I made it

Home from Center Parcs.....I made it

Hi all,

We arrived home today after spending the week at CP. As you know, I was worried about going on the motorway. The first leg, the 3hrs to Scotch Corner I was actually doing really well. I could not believe how ok I felt. WE stopped for 45mins & had a bite to eat. Then we had the last hour & half to Sherwood. Well, that is when it hit me!!! The panic came at me, and all the usual feelings flooded in at me. AT one point I really thought that I was going to lose it this time. However, I stayed calm. However, the feeling never really left me until Thursday. When we did arrive I really thought, I can't do this, I have to get home now. I tried so hard to stay calm. When we got into the villa at 3 and we had unpacked, the waves of panic really hit me again. I felt like I was going to go crazy if I did not leave right there and then. We got ready to go to the swimming pool. Now you know I was worried about the flumes and my state of mind at that moment made me panic even more about that. So we arrived at the pool, & straight away the family wanted to go on the new ride (for us) the Grand Cascade. For those who have not been it is a big tube for 4 people to go down. We had to climb loads of stairs, which I hate. I tried again to stay calm, but I really thought I was not going to make it. So, I kept repeating that saying of Susan Jeffers, "Feel the fear, but do it anyway". I kept saying it over & over. We were in the line for about 15mins & I was a nervous wreck. However, I did go on it. I followed Darkangels advice to just pretend I was loving it & scream. As soon as we got to the bottom I said let's go again!!!! However, it shuts at 7, so we could not go on again. However, over the week I went on it 11x!!!! I started to really relax then. However, later, the panic came back again. I was like that on & off til the Thursday. I kept writing down, what I was feeling, & I really tried to figure out just what my fear really, really is. I started to realise that I am a "What Iffer". I kept scaring myself with what ifs. What if one of us falls of our bikes & has to go to hospital. What if we take ill & have to call for help. What if my DH takes ill & "Oh my God, I have to drive home?" Then I really started to panic!!!!. I could go on & on. Then I said to myself, what are the chances of these things happening? And if they do, well, you can deal with it. Then I started to panic because I thought, no, I can't deal with it. Bingo, another reason I panic, because I believe that no matter what, I am not capable of dealing with things. Anyway, without going on & on, the holiday certainly made me look at things in a new light. On the Wednesday night, I suddenly had this thought, when I was feeling that the panic was going to eat me up & that I was going to completely loose it, I realised that, well..... I never did loose it, I just was an uptight wreck, but I was still sane, still there. So I realised, with such clarity, that my worst anxiety, or panic was really a big fat lie!!! That even when I really think I am going to lose it, I never did, & it always went away, albeit only for a little while. So, after that I barely had any anxiety. Even today, driving back, the anxiety was there a little, but it was not nearly as bad as last monday. Anyway, I survived, but I am still glad to be home.

Re: Home from Center Parcs.....I made it

Well Done You,

Sounds like you had a great time you did really well!

I went to the Longleat Centre Parcs a couple of years ago and it was great.

Yes those what if's definately seem to plague us anxiety sufferers hey

Take Care,

Love Pip's X X X X

Thats great news WELL DONE!!

You had some real challenges while you where away, and you dealt fab with them all! You should be so proud of yourself hun !!

Hugs

Andrea
    xxxxxx

Well done, you did so well

keep up the good work

Love

Trac xxxx
    People change, Things go wrong,
    I just remembered...Life Goes On

Panicdiva, glad you had a great time, "WHAT IF,S" should be abolished, you did great.Did you manage to get to the spa, and have the weekly booking.?We go again in november to sherwood forest and i,m so looking forward to it.Maybe you should have put this on the success stories, glad your home safe and sound.Take care x

WELL DONE - YOU CERTAINLY PROVED THAT NO MATTER HOW BAD YOU FELT - YOU JFDI!!!

Now

panicdiva

Wow - well done you for not only going and staying but for also realising that the panic cannot hurt you and you could cope after all.

Great thread and bet you are chuffed that you did it

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

hi panicdiva,
    well done you! this might seem odd but your post has brought me to tears and i had to respond.reading your post was like looking in a mirror for me and i soooo know how you feel. the only thing with me is that unlike you ive tended to avoid going thru this or ive set up things so i dont have to, like take other adults with us!
    you are an inspiration to me as i know that this is the next stage for me, i have been making big improvements with my agoro/dependancy/panic but i know ive got a long long way to go.
    i want to encourage you to not get disheartened by the fact that you did feel bad at times and that you did panic and that you are glad to be home, as from somebody outside looking in to your experience i can see how much bottle it took for you to go through all of that, and to come to realise what you did must be reinforced time and time again so that you continue to accept that you can 'feel the fear and do it anyway'(i discovered this book a few weeks ago and i think it is one of the best and my therapist agrees and has used this book for years)
    i am going to remember your post and refer to it when i am struggling as i truly beleive that you are the perfect example of somebody in recovery, that is that you KNOW you have to go through it there is no getting away from the fear until you face it! and taht even if you do feel the fear you dont have to give up your life!
    so all the best to you and again well done

Welcome back Panicdiva

Gliad you had such a good holiday and what a lot of good achievements too! Well done

I realised that, well..... I never did loose it, I just was an uptight wreck, but I was still sane, still there. So I realised, with such clarity, that my worst anxiety, or panic was really a big fat lie!!! That even when I really think I am going to lose it, I never did, & it always went away, albeit only for a little while.
    This is critical I think because once we can recognise the thoughts we have are ones we've had loads of times before and nothing bad has happened and the panic does past it then gets easier to put the fear to one side and carry on.

I'm not saying it still doesn't feel really bad sometimes but accepting that there are other explanations rather than the worst possible scenario helps the anxiety to start to lessen and we can start to gently push our boundaries that little bit further.

Well done again.

Karen

Your so brave I couldnt do that! Well I know I could but the same as you things stop me. You beat it. My family have gone on hols and Im here with my step Brother not a good prospect very nervous but know I can do it (sleep) Ive done it once before and I can do it again!! Thats the oposite to what ive been saying today. But typing and reading helps.

Thread Information