Thread: How would one go about claiming benefits for an illness?

How would one go about claiming benefits for an illness?

So, here's my story.

I am a 20 year old girl, currently living with my mum (she keeps me clothed and fed and watered, along with £40 a month for luxuries, this is of her own choice and I'd never ask for anything else from her) my fiancé has a great paying job and is saving up for a house that we will buy whenever I get myself a "steady source of income", and I'm in a bit of a predicament.

I have life-long anxiety and confidence issues (I've had CBT before and am planning to try it again soon) as well as OCD routines, health anxiety, and general irrational worries, sometimes leading to panic attacks. As well as this, I have more physical health issues to deal with - I have a chronic sinus infection, endometriosis, eczema and asthma, as well as anaemia, currently being dealt with but I have to take iron medicine every day with each meal, which is annoying. So I'm not in great shape, really.

I'm 21 this year, I've been mildly trying to get a job for the past year (I finished and left college last summer after doing 3 years of hairdressing studies) but I am just so ill, I feel useless being sat at home doing nothing, and even if I did get a job, judging by my awful school and college attendance, I don't think I could hold down a part time job too well let alone a full time job. This has me stuck in a rut, because I'd love to move out and start a family (my partner is 4 years older than me) but I am held back by my lack of funds.

He has mentioned he will be happy if I can get disability benefits, he would be happier if I was working but understands I am stuck in bed most days with pain, and I absolutely have no idea how I could get this, like I literally don't know how to do it, I've tried googling but struggled to find any real information, do you go through your doctor? I am very confused. I've also been told its difficult to claim for them, my uncle still has to work part time with his back problems despite trying to claim for disability benefits.

If anyone has any information on how I could go about this, please let me know. I am from England if that helps. Thanks

Re: How would one go about claiming benefits for an illness?

Hi,
    There are loads of different benefits you could try and go for.
    If you are looking for work and can work the disability one probably isn't the best one to go for as it is really difficult to get and so many get rejected and have to sometimes go to a tribunal.
    Would you want to do something with hairdressing? or something else?

Thread Information