Thread: Terrified I'm gonna go into cardiac arrest due to possible myocarditis

Terrified I'm gonna go into cardiac arrest due to possible myocarditis

Hi everyone,

I've been suffering cold-like viral symptoms for the last 10 days, and I'm terrified the virus will attack my heart in a condition known as myocarditis. It began as a sore throat and a constant need to clear my throat, but has now progressed to a hacking, productive cough. I have also had some chest pain today, although admittedly it feels muscular.

Roughly 4 days into my symptoms (6 days ago now) I went to ER and they performed ECG and took blood. Cardiac troponins were not elevated and ECG was normal. However, I can't get my mind off the idea that because my viral symptoms have worsened, the virus is attacking my heart and I now have myocarditis.

Is it worth going to ER again for an ECG and cardiac troponins to put my mind at ease? I've been reading reports over at the myocarditis foundation website and what strikes me as particularly terrifying about this disease is its tendency to randomly cause sudden death without prior warning. It is the worst condition I ever could've learned about as a HA sufferer whose main fear is death.

Re: Terrified I'm gonna go into cardiac arrest due to possible myocarditis

On one of your previous posts someone mentioned how their Mum has this & how ill she was.

It’s so unlikely that you have it. You have a bad cold, flu at worse.
    Rest up & drink plenty of fluids. If you feel worse then please go and see your doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan23 View Post
    Is it worth going to ER again for an ECG and cardiac troponins to put my mind at ease?
    If the first clear test didn't reassure you, a second won't either. That's just the way HA works. Besides, the ER is for emergencies and this clearly is not.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    If the first clear test didn't reassure you, a second won't either. That's just the way HA works. Besides, the ER is for emergencies and this clearly is not.

Positive thoughts
    True. I thought chest pain was always an emergency though :/

Anyway, my main thought is that between my previous normal cardiac tests and now (4 days), the virus has worsened and has attacked my heart muscle, rendering me on the verge of possible sudden death at any moment.

If you are truly on the verge of sudden death your GP will pick up on it. So go to your GP and leave the ER for people who are genuinely ill.

Thread Information