Thread: Amitriptyline & Drowsiness

Amitriptyline & Drowsiness

Hello Everyone,

I have been taking Amitriptyline since 2009 after a series of horrible migraines. I was put on 10mg as a preventative measure, this worked for 3 years and I was migraine free, then I started getting migraines again, about 3-4 a year. I was told to take 20mg, then 30mg and now I take 40mg daily in the morning at about 08:30am. I thought about taking it at night which is when it says to take it but I tried this years ago and got a migraine two days after, so I blamed it on taking it at night and it not being as effective.

However by 10 am I feel so tired and drowsy its unbelievable. It makes me feel so out of it (in a drowsy depersonalisation way) until about 2 o'clock in the afternoon then I start to feel ok-ish again.

My dilemma is this, I've not had a migraine since June 2017 (when I tried cutting the dose back to 30mg), but I'm terrified if I cut down on the Amitriptyline again all my migraines will come back.

Re: Amitriptyline & Drowsiness

I've been taking Amitriptyline for years for migraine prevention and was always told to take it at night. It makes me sleepy about 45 minutes after I take it, so I can't imagine taking it during the day and functioning.

Re: Amitriptyline & Drowsiness

I was given Amitryptyline for insomnia, and was advised to take at night. It worked, unfortunately I struggled to get out of bed each morning and it toon two cups of coffee and till lunchtime to function. I am now tapering off this and apart from withdrawal symptoms when these subside my energy comes back.

Thread Information