Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another general anaesthetic thread - worried sick/depressed :(

Another general anaesthetic thread - worried sick/depressed :(

Hi Members,

It's been a while but unfortunately I'm back and my health anxiety has reared its ugly head again.

I have an upcoming procedure under general anaesthetic to extract all 4 wisdom on 4 May and I'm absolutely worried sick about it. In fact, I've been obsessing over it since the second my oral surgeon said I needed them removed. They are causing infections in my gums and ruining surrounding teeth.

In case you're wondering, the surgeon won't extract them under twighlight sedation. I asked already and it was a firm no.

Truthfully, I do need them removed AND I dont want to necessarily experience that while awake. So its a double edge sword situation!

But...I'm just so scared of the unknown and being "put to sleep" and I don't even know why?!

Ive read endless accounts of people's experiences with GA and literally 99.9% of them are positive and yet I still cant shake the fear.

Some of the thought I have just endlessly going in my mind include:

- what will it feel like? Is it just instant darkness or is it like I'm going to sleep?
    - will I even wake up?
    - if the end result is complete unconsciousness can the anaesthetist put me to sleep gradually instead of just "boom" your out.
    - is it overall an unpleasant feeling? (The GA I mean - I'm aware and quite ready for the pain following surgery)

If any one, I mean anyone can offer some words of wisdom and help in alleviating this gripping fear and anxiety I would forever grateful.

It really has come to the point where it is almost ruining my job, my social life, my friends, my partner...almost everything in my life is fallingtp bits. And all because of one procedure.

Ty in advance
    Nathan

Re: Another general anaesthetic thread - worried sick/depressed :(

I've had this....so badly I can't even tell you. My background is that I had a medical diagnosis that needed surgery 2 years ago, it was very important surgery (albeit on an extremity rather than internal, if you know what I mean). I had never had surgery, and have a phobia of new medications (I've not taken a paracetamol in 10 eyars even, just in case lol) and through my life had convinced myself that I would definitely have a problem with GA. I was so convinced that I wouldn't survive surgey and afraid of it that I considered cancelling the surgery and dealing with the breast cancer that I had, and obviously a slow decline with that!!! I eventually decided I had to have the GA, and wrote letters to my loved ones to be given when i DID die under the GA. So, you see how scared I was. I was given lorazepam to calm me, but I was besides myself despite that.
    So, what helped me? The anaethetist had a personal meeting with me, and explained everything and answered all my fearful questions in advance of the day. (very good of him to find the time!) He said that in all his years as head anaethetist he had had one person 'react' with anaphylaxis, and they treated that person immediately there and then and they were fine. Here the bottom line - and I'd not even considered this - they are monitoring your heart and breathing and every bodily stat every second of the procedure. You are incredibly safe, more safe than in normal daily life, with a highly skilled professional stood there watching your every heart beat, breath, and reaction. That person has every possible medical intervention needed in the case of anything happening to you.

I will answer with more detail about the actual 'going to sleep' bit when more time later....

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    I've had this....so badly I can't even tell you. My background is that I had a medical diagnosis that needed surgery 2 years ago, it was very important surgery (albeit on an extremity rather than internal, if you know what I mean). I had never had surgery, and have a phobia of new medications (I've not taken a paracetamol in 10 eyars even, just in case lol) and through my life had convinced myself that I would definitely have a problem with GA. I was so convinced that I wouldn't survive surgey and afraid of it that I considered cancelling the surgery and dealing with the breast cancer that I had, and obviously a slow decline with that!!! I eventually decided I had to have the GA, and wrote letters to my loved ones to be given when i DID die under the GA. So, you see how scared I was. I was given lorazepam to calm me, but I was besides myself despite that.
    So, what helped me? The anaethetist had a personal meeting with me, and explained everything and answered all my fearful questions in advance of the day. (very good of him to find the time!) He said that in all his years as head anaethetist he had had one person 'react' with anaphylaxis, and they treated that person immediately there and then and they were fine. Here the bottom line - and I'd not even considered this - they are monitoring your heart and breathing and every bodily stat every second of the procedure. You are incredibly safe, more safe than in normal daily life, with a highly skilled professional stood there watching your every heart beat, breath, and reaction. That person has every possible medical intervention needed in the case of anything happening to you.

I will answer with more detail about the actual 'going to sleep' bit when more time later....
    Hi Carys,

I really appreciate your reply. It is already very reassuring. Your circumstances make my procedure look like a walk in the park. You are very strong.

I definitely trust in the ability of my surgeon and the anaesthetist. From my understanding and asking around, they are both very good and veterans of their craft.

Unfortunately for me I won't get to speak to my anaesthetist until 30 April (when he gets back from holiday). And that will only be over telephone, not in person. I suppose I'm even lucky to have that. I have a lot of questions for him as you can imagine.

It's just...this damn fear of the unknown i.e. going under. I look forward to your further comments.

Cheers,
    Nathan
    Last edited by NathanLee; 21-04-18 at 08:45.

Hiyer....I'm back,

Made a coffee and decided to carry on.....

I read and read and read so many experiences, like you online.....I tried so hard to reassure myself with all the positive stories....but the nagging doubts, fears and sheer terror remained.

When I had the anaesthetic, he did it really quickly, as he knew what a state I was in. He had clearly told the nurse in advance to do the same, as they didn't give me time to say anything once I was committed to lying down ready for the surgery. I've never seen a man work so fast lol

I was sobbing as the catheter was put in my hand, and he literally seconds later put the liquid in. I would say that from the time the liquid was put in it took...gosh...2 or 3 seconds (thats what it felt like) to be asleep. I've heard of people having to count down from 5 and then they are asleep, but I didn't ahve time for that lol Its not like going to sleep as we know it, its just 'there' 'not there'...its not like anything I've experienced before. I think I felt a slight 1 second 'woosh' after the anasethetic was put in. I had no time to panic about the anesthetic going in at all and neither did I care at that point because I couldn't as the anaesthetic took practically immediate effect, I had no ability to feel anything as such. Its not even like darkness, its just 'nothing'..awake and looking at the nurses face and then not. Its not frightening either as there is no time and you can't be scared. It didn't feel unpleasant, neither pleasant, it just was 'there' 'not there'. LOl I know I'm repeating things, but I can't find the right words.

Then, that was it, there was nothing to remember in between that and being awake again. I was a little woozy and waking up in the after care room with everyone else and a nurse by my side. I had no feeling of sickness, which I had feared. I had obviously been in another room right after coming out of the surgery, as there was a mask on my face, which the nurse immediately took off. I had an immediate, delayed panic attack lol from the stress earlier. I thought it was a reaction to 'something'. The nurse called the anaethetist who felt my heart and told me I was having a panic attack and not reacting to anything. LOL My heart rate slowed and I had a little rest with my eyes closed for a few minutes as things were a little 'spinny', then 10 minutes later I was up and eating custard cream biscuits and drinking tea and instant messaging people. I was getting dressed 20 minutes later, and home an hour and a half later.

When the anaethetist came to check my heart rate, after the nurse called him, he did a little chuckle and said 'oh by the way, you aren't allergic to ibruprofen for your records, I gave you some earlier'.

So, I will say to you, in retrospect, that the event was not worthy of the huge amount of fear I put into it beforehand. They will give you a check of all your stats and physical health beforehand, so they know you are well to have the anasethetic. They will ask you lots of questions about your health and you can tell them your fears. Having a call to the anaethetist is perfect, it doesn't have to be in person....just be honest....and let them reassure you. I did, and it worked. My anaethetist (bless his heart and outside his remit) even came on duty just to do my anaesthetic, so I saw the same face I trusted. I honestly hadn't considered that you could be safer under GA than driving your car to the supermarket - such highly skilled, trained medical professionals looking after your every bodily need.

Would I do it again? Yes I would. The one thing I didn't expect, and some of this could have been my weeks of anxiety, is that I did feel tired and a little spaced for a day or so. They say the full anaesthetic can take a while to come out of your body. Then again, I'd not slept for weeks lol Ask anything else...happy to answer...no your procedure isn't any different to mine in terms of stress. We both need/needed a GA for probably a similar period of time, and both ahve the same anxiety. I spent all my adult life terrified of a GA and any surgery, and I was 47 when I had it, so that is a LOT of years to build yourself up to something negatively. I would say to you, get this over with, you will get that fear out of the way.
    Last edited by Carys; 21-04-18 at 08:57.

Hiyer....I'm back,

Made a coffee and decided to carry on.....

I read and read and read so many experiences, like you online.....I tried so hard to reassure myself with all the positive stories....but the nagging doubts, fears and sheer terror remained.

When I had the anaesthetic, he did it really quickly, as he knew what a state I was in. He had clearly told the nurse in advance to do the same, as they didn't give me time to say anything once I was committed to lying down ready for the surgery. I've never seen a man work so fast lol

I was sobbing as the catheter was put in my hand, and he literally seconds later put the liquid in. I would say that from the time the liquid was put in it took...gosh...2 or 3 seconds (thats what it felt like) to be asleep. I've heard of people having to count down from 5 and then they are asleep, but I didn't ahve time for that lol Its not like going to sleep as we know it, its just 'there' 'not there'...its not like anything I've experienced before. I think I felt a slight 1 second 'woosh' after the anasethetic was put in. I had no time to panic about the anesthetic going in at all and neither did I care at that point because I couldn't as the anaesthetic took practically immediate effect, I had no ability to feel anything as such. Its not even like darkness, its just 'nothing'..awake and looking at the nurses face and then not. Its not frightening either as there is no time and you can't be scared. It didn't feel unpleasant, neither pleasant, it just was 'there' 'not there'. LOl I know I'm repeating things, but I can't find the right words.

Then, that was it, there was nothing to remember in between that and being awake again. I was a little woozy and waking up in the after care room with everyone else and a nurse by my side. I had no feeling of sickness, which I had feared. I had obviously been in another room right after coming out of the surgery, as there was a mask on my face, which the nurse immediately took off. I had an immediate, delayed panic attack lol from the stress earlier. I thought it was a reaction to 'something'. The nurse called the anaethetist who felt my heart and told me I was having a panic attack and not reacting to anything. LOL My heart rate slowed and I had a little rest with my eyes closed for a few minutes as things were a little 'spinny', then 10 minutes later I was up and eating custard cream biscuits and drinking tea and instant messaging people. I was getting dressed 20 minutes later, and home an hour and a half later.

When the anaethetist came to check my heart rate, after the nurse called him, he did a little chuckle and said 'oh by the way, you aren't allergic to ibruprofen for your records, I gave you some earlier'.

So, I will say to you, in retrospect, that the event was not worthy of the huge amount of fear I put into it beforehand. They will give you a check of all your stats and physical health beforehand, so they know you are well to have the anasethetic. They will ask you lots of questions about your health and you can tell them your fears. Having a call to the anaethetist is perfect, it doesn't have to be in person....just be honest....and let them reassure you. I did, and it worked. My anaethetist (bless his heart and outside his remit) even came on duty just to do my anaesthetic, so I saw the same face I trusted. I honestly hadn't considered that you could be safer under GA than driving your car to the supermarket - such highly skilled, trained medical professionals looking after your every bodily need.

Would I do it again? Yes I would. The one thing I didn't expect, and some of this could have been my weeks of anxiety, is that I did feel tired and a little spaced for a day or so. They say the full anaesthetic can take a while to come out of your body. Then again, I'd not slept for weeks lol Ask anything else...happy to answer...no your procedure isn't any different to mine in terms of stress. We both need/needed a GA for probably a similar period of time, and both ahve the same anxiety. I spent all my adult life terrified of a GA and any surgery, and I was 47 when I had it, so that is a LOT of years to build yourself up to something negatively. I would say to you, get this over with, you will get that fear out of the way.
    Thanks Carys,

That was awesome detail. Your anaethetist sounds very comforting. I can only hope mine is good with anxious patients and has a nice bed side manner.

I'm just not certain how I feel about the whole "I'm here, than I'm not" experience of GA. If that's how it is then I obviously have to deal with it and that's it. I don't even know why, but I was hoping my anaesthetist could simulate something like going to sleep in a more gradual manner (as I said, it makes no sense). Its not like I have a fear of sleep or the dark or something ridiculous. It's the control and being unconscious issue I suppose.

I have a feeling my anaesthetist will probably do much the same when I'm in the operating room. I was hoping that he could give me something to relax me before heading into the OR and then possibly nitrous while they are inserting the cannula. And then I suppose it's lights out pretty quickly after that.

I know you say that our stresses are equally the same but I'm at a point where I've lost so much self esteem and feel so embarrassed that this procedure is so minor and nothing even compared to what others are going through.

I've had countless people tell me it will be a "I told you so " moment but I just can't seem to believe it.

Thanks again
    Nathan

They may indeed be able to make things more gradual for you - I know people who have taken oral sedation beforehand, and gas in a mask, a slower 'going to sleep' thing. Mine worked quickly as had planned that was best for me. You can discuss this with him/her, and I'm sure they will try and do what is best for you and what you are happiest with. Don't be embarrased at all, everyone has their triggers and this is yours.

They may indeed be able to make things more gradual for you - I know people who have taken oral sedation beforehand, and gas in a mask, a slower 'going to sleep' thing. Mine worked quickly as had planned that was best for me. You can discuss this with him/her, and I'm sure they will try and do what is best for you and what you are happiest with. Don't be embarrased at all, everyone has their triggers and this is yours.
    The funny thing is...I don't even know what's best for me?! All I know is the idea of "lights on lights off" is strange/worrying to me. It could be that once I'm given a sedative or pre meds before hand that I won't particularly mind. That's my hope to be honest.

In a perfect world. I wanted to go into the procedure without a care in the world. You know...like everyone else without anxiety.

Or, like you said. Hard and fast is better for someone with that level of anxiety. It's funny they administered your GA super quick for you...when I was speaking with the pre admission nurse the other day, I was discussing my anxiety and she was reassuring me and goes "as soon as we get the iv in you it's all very fast". And all I could think was, "is that what people usually want?" She sounded really nice and understanding though, so at least I know I have them on my side on the day also.

Cheers,
    Nathan

Hiyer,

I didn't have any sedative or pre-med as it happens. I don't like the feeling of drinking alcohol and sedation in general, as I don't like feeling woozy or 'out of control'.

My personal feeling was that I would rather be quickly done, as I was likely to go into a panic state and back out or need even more anaesthetic as I was more resistant. My mother had this happen, she was panicking and resistant to 'going out' and had more than was usually needed. Not that this matters, but means you come round slower and it takes longer. If you don't know what is best, then let them guide you, they've seen this many many times before.

I have a family member who is a general surgeon - last year she had her first ever GA (at over 50 years old) she was really jittery. She told me that she'd done surgeries daily, and witnessed general anaesthetics for 30 odd years...and she was worried. You aren't alone in your anxiety.

Hiyer,

I didn't have any sedative or pre-med as it happens. I don't like the feeling of drinking alcohol and sedation in general, as I don't like feeling woozy or 'out of control'.

My personal feeling was that I would rather be quickly done, as I was likely to go into a panic state and back out or need even more anaesthetic as I was more resistant. My mother had this happen, she was panicking and resistant to 'going out' and had more than was usually needed. Not that this matters, but means you come round slower and it takes longer. If you don't know what is best, then let them guide you, they've seen this many many times before.

I have a family member who is a general surgeon - last year she had her first ever GA (at over 50 years old) she was really jittery. She told me that she'd done surgeries daily, and witnessed general anaesthetics for 30 odd years...and she was worried. You aren't alone in your anxiety.
    Oh wow...no pre-med. I'm not even sure how I'll cope without one to be honest with you. In fact, I'm not even sure how I'm going to on the way to the hospital let alone going through the doors let alone getting wheeled or walked into the OR.

I just feel the more assistance I can get to endure and see it through to the end, the better. Even if that assistance is in the form of medication that knocks me out before being knocked out.

I'm just praying the whole ordeal will go as smoothly as so many people claim it will be. I know I need to believe it will be alright and to have "guts" and trust the professionals but that's the joy of anxiety I suppose.

I'm doing real tough here in my mind. I'm sure you can relate. All this anxiety is literally killing me. I really appreciate your responses. Thanks.

You know what I found - the closer you get to it, the more resigned you become and the less hysterical. You work through everything, all the possibilities, you eventually burn out over them. I bet you are the same (In all seriousness, I went in there resigned to dying, said my goodbyes - ummmmm - 2 years later here I am.....)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information