Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another general anaesthetic thread - worried sick/depressed :(

Re: Another general anaesthetic thread - worried sick/depressed :(

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    You know what I found - the closer you get to it, the more resigned you become and the less hysterical. You work through everything, all the possibilities, you eventually burn out over them. I bet you are the same (In all seriousness, I went in there resigned to dying, said my goodbyes - ummmmm - 2 years later here I am.....)
    It will not surprise me if it comes to that. I've done endless research. I think I've read almost every single account of GA on the internet.

I'm honestly exhausted but still filled with fear. I'm literally counting the days, and I hate it.

Hi Nathan,
    I've been under GA three times in my life so far, to be honest this was before i had anxiety and it was a breeze.

I'm going to have to have a couple of GA's this year and i'm really shi##ng myself. The thing is GA is so safe and so much better than it was years ago, the other thing is you won't be under for long as it's for wisdom teeth, so not as risky ( not that it's much of risk anyway )

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Hi Nathan,
    I've been under GA three times in my life so far, to be honest this was before i had anxiety and it was a breeze.

I'm going to have to have a couple of GA's this year and i'm really shi##ng myself. The thing is GA is so safe and so much better than it was years ago, the other thing is you won't be under for long as it's for wisdom teeth, so not as risky ( not that it's much of risk anyway )

Good luck!
    Hi BikerMatt,

Thanks heaps for your reply.

Could you describe the feeling of being put under for me? Were you afraid in the moment or was it pleasant/relaxing?

Does it feel like your going to sleep (albeit quickly) or is it more instantaneous than that?

Did you have an pre medication in those previous experiences? Did it help?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by NathanLee View Post
    Hi BikerMatt,

Thanks heaps for your reply.

Could you describe the feeling of being put under for me? Were you afraid in the moment or was it pleasant/relaxing?

Does it feel like your going to sleep (albeit quickly) or is it more instantaneous than that?

Did you have an pre medication in those previous experiences? Did it help?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,
    Nathan
    Hi Nathan,
    Yes i had a pre medication. The last time i had GA was when i was 22 so 23 years ago now. GA is instant (it was for me anyway) and that's the way you wan't it. I never felt like i was drifting off or anything it really was instant.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by BikerMatt View Post
    Hi Nathan,
    Yes i had a pre medication. The last time i had GA was when i was 22 so 23 years ago now. GA is instant (it was for me anyway) and that's the way you wan't it. I never felt like i was drifting off or anything it really was instant.

Matt
    I agree. I've been under GA more times than I care to recall. I've also been pre-medicated so I was pretty high already. They typically say "here we go" and that's it until you wake up Good drugs too!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    I agree. I've been under GA more times than I care to recall. I've also been pre-medicated so I was pretty high already. They typically say "here we go" and that's it until you wake up Good drugs too!

Positive thoughts
    Hi Fishmanpa,

I'm hoping the pre medication is strong enough to get me fairly high/not have a worry in the world. I'm having a discussion with my anaesthetist prior to the procedure so I'll ask what he can give me that will pretty much "knock me out before knocking me out".

I know you guys say that quick and instant is how you want it but I'm just not sure. You could certainly be right (once I've experienced it) but the idea of not having much time to accept or get ready for it sounds a bit daunting.

I suppose that going under is going under right. Doesn't make a difference if it's fast or slow?

Cheers,
    Nathan

They really do knock you out. I don't recollect much. The first time I went under was in my 20's for a hernia op. they said "You might see double" and fed the meds in. I recall saying "Yep, I'm seeing double" and that was it! ~lol~

When I has my stents put in, I woke up and Frank Zappa music was playing. I said "Hey, that's Zappa!" and they said "Yeah, you asked for it". I have no recollection. The funniest part that my wife told me was in recovery. I kept grabbing her rear and saying "My tushie" ~lol~ Again... no recollection Seriously, you'll be fine

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    They really do knock you out. I don't recollect much. The first time I went under was in my 20's for a hernia op. they said "You might see double" and fed the meds in. I recall saying "Yep, I'm seeing double" and that was it! ~lol~

When I has my stents put in, I woke up and Frank Zappa music was playing. I said "Hey, that's Zappa!" and they said "Yeah, you asked for it". I have no recollection. The funniest part that my wife told me was in recovery. I kept grabbing her rear and saying "My tushie" ~lol~ Again... no recollection Seriously, you'll be fine

Positive thoughts
    Hi Fishmanpa,

It probably sounds stupid to some but that sounds to me how I would prefer it. I want to be high as a kite or at least "on my way " to sleeping and then just fall asleep (because they give the final medication or because i just pass out).

I think my surgeon mentioned that my anaethetist would give me something in my IV that would feel like 4 him and tonics. Is that likely the stuff you would have had?

I really hope my anaethetist is understanding enough to do that for me. I haven't spoken with him yet which isn't very comforting.

I hope my procedure is as pleasant (or at least they sounded that way) as yours.

I honestly need the strength to get through this next 1 and a bit weeks and of course the day of the procedure.

Cheers,
    Nathan

but the idea of not having much time to accept or get ready for it sounds a bit daunting.
    ....but why do you need to accept and get ready (you've done that in turning up for the procedure)...and what are you accepting and getting ready for ? The things you are writing make it sound like you are getting ready for this being the final time you will see anyone and are being - sorry to say this - put to sleep permanently. You aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Carys View Post
    ....but why do you need to accept and get ready (you've done that in turning up for the procedure)...and what are you accepting and getting ready for ? The things you are writing make it sound like you are getting ready for this being the final time you will see anyone and are being - sorry to say this - put to sleep permanently. You aren't.
    I know what I'm writing probably sounds like utter nonsense. It's the anxiety speaking

I feel much the same way you did Carys when you were writing those good bye notes. I actually considered doing the same. Again, ridiculous I know.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information