Thread: Sex and sertraline

Sex and sertraline

Yikes, where do I start?!
    Last night I realised that my fella is losing patience with me. My HA journey started on xmas night 2017. Since then, my body does not want intimacy. I don’t know if this is due to the medication or the anxiety...though I read in the in-pack leaflet that sertraline can decrease your sex drive. Anyway, I do love him, I really, really do. But my body tenses upnif he touches me and I cannot help but to push him away and laugh it off. I cannot even force it because I’m always so tired too.
    Does anybody else find this? And how do you deal with it? I really think that after ten years together, I might lose him

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Sex and sertraline

You really should explain to him that it's the anxiety and med causing this, not him. He needs to support you but can only do this if you're honest and make it clear that nothing has changed regarding how you feel about him. And after "10 years" being together, he should understand.

Low sex drive/libido does improve after a few months but reaching orgasm can still be affected in both sexes. Just have to try that bit harder when time is right for intimacy

Never Surrender, Comrade

Re: Sex and sertraline

Antidepressants can certainly cause issues with libido, as can mental health problems. But you say you push away at intimacy which to me seems more about you than the med. But by you, I mean it may be a symptom of your mental health condition that needs to be worked on.

Think of it this way, if someone is physically ill with something how much do they feel like having sex? Is it so different with mental health?

For me I found it hard with sex because of my anxiety concentrating on changes in sensation in my body. The way through that is to work on being ok with them whilst exposing myself to the trigger but it can take some time. For you perhaps it's just a different angle, maybe you feel like you should punish yourself or your self esteem is so bad you feel unworthy, etc?

Thread Information