Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 weeks of swollen tonsils + Flu-like symptoms too.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

4 weeks of swollen tonsils + Flu-like symptoms too.

Hello everyone! Glad I managed to find this place because I've been going a little nuts.

It all started with some trouble clearing my throat of phlegm, which was really annoying me. After reading that this could be a sign of something more serious, I started getting health anxiety. But I wasn't too worried about it in general.

Then came the "flu", or flu like symptoms. First my mouth started going dry and I had some minor trouble swallowing along with a general feeling of "umm something doesn't feel right" for a couple of days.

Then I had a high fever of around 39c or so, shivers/trembling, some phlegm and snot but no real cough or anything along them lines.

Then I started feeling random pain in places, my liver region, then my upper back, then both sides of my abdomen, these have all since gone.

I lost some weight, probably due to the fact I felt like crap, but nothing major. I dropped from about 148lb to 143lbs and have generally held around that number. (I've developed a need to check myself at least twice per day).

I also had numbness in various places, even my face and jaw which was super scary!

Oh, and a couple bouts of diarrhea, and also some nausea (rare, and short periods of time).

Lately I've also had muscle cramps too, but that seems to have stopped now.

Today, I awoke to a wet mouth for the first time in nearly 4 weeks. (Dry mouth is one of my other symptoms).

But, I felt the chills again earlier, my tonsils are still swollen (4 weeks like I said) and my mouth is slightly dry again.

I've been to the ER twice, and have had:

* Chest X-Rays - Front and side, both all clear.
    * A "battery" of blood work (7 vials worth) and nothing came back of concern/all clear.
    * ECG/EKG (whichever one is the quick/simple one) and that was all good.
    * Tested for strep = negative
    * Tested for mono = negative
    * Tested for flu = negative

My diagnosis is "virus and anxiety" which seems plausible, but the swollen tonsils, uvula, dry mouth, and having the chills today are still really bugging me.

I guess it could be a really nasty virus, i've seen quite a few reassuring threads right here on this forum, but I can't shake that nagging thought it might be something more.

Have any of you ever experienced such a virus? Or a bad case of viral tonsillitis/pharyngitis like this? Just looking for like incidents to ease my mind, am planning on booking another Dr's appointment to see if I can get to an ENT or further testing and figure this all out.

Thanks for any help! Trying to keep positive but it's really playing on my mind.
    Last edited by ThroatGoat; 23-06-18 at 15:32.

Re: 4 weeks of swollen tonsils + Flu-like symptoms too.

You've had a nasty virus. It happens. Everything you describe is normal for that and all tests are good. Give it a couple of weeks, it'll get better.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    You've had a nasty virus. It happens. Everything you describe is normal for that and all tests are good. Give it a couple of weeks, it'll get better.

Positive thoughts
    Thank you very much Fishmanpa! Hopefully that's all it is.

Still getting some mixed symptoms, currently feeling a bit weak and the throat is still tender/sore too. Fatigued also, but haven't been sleeping too well either.

Everyone thinks I'm fine, just need to convince myself of that fact.

---------- Post added at 18:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:53 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sabbine17 View Post
    Hi
    I've had a similar situation but mine has lasted 8-9 weeks now.. I get a slight temperature as well and post nasal drip but I found some slightly enlarged lymphnodes and tonsil on one side only so of course I instantly start having fears about lymphoma..
    I keep saying to myself that it's a virus because my blood work was clear and my throat has been checked and they say everything is fine.. but for the exact same reasons I feel it might be something wrong that bloodwork would miss?
    It's so exhausting! I do feel like I'm VERY slowly getting better but I can't help it
    8-9 weeks? Damn! I'm at about 5 now I think and it sucks.

I have the same fears, but I've had 5 Docs examine now and they all seem to think I'm fine apart from having a bad virus and the attached anxiety.

Hopefully it will pass soon, I do feel better "in myself" but then I sometimes have weird symptoms come up again and they freak me out.

Seeing a dentist soon too to hopefully get my mouth put in order also.

Will keep you all posted, feel free to drop in and let me know how you're getting on too Sabbine! Would like to keep in touch with anyone else experiencing similar things. :-)

Hi
    I've had a similar situation but mine has lasted 8-9 weeks now.. I get a slight temperature as well and post nasal drip but I found some slightly enlarged lymphnodes and tonsil on one side only so of course I instantly start having fears about lymphoma..
    I keep saying to myself that it's a virus because my blood work was clear and my throat has been checked and they say everything is fine.. but for the exact same reasons I feel it might be something wrong that bloodwork would miss?
    It's so exhausting! I do feel like I'm VERY slowly getting better but I can't help it

Hi

I知 going on 9 weeks of what seems like the exact same thing. I just had a baby, so I feel like my immune system is shot. I知 also terrified it could be lymphoma! I feel like I知 so slowly getting better, but had a back track because somehow I致e caught strep!

Seems like a nasty thing is going around!

Quote Originally Posted by ThroatGoat View Post
    Hey Sabbine! Yeah I've been doing pretty good at that! Still have my HA moments, but not anywhere as bad as they were.

It certainly is/was a weird one. The last remaining symptom for me seems to be this hot/cold feeling thing, but mostly the cold sensitivity. Apart from that and some moodiness (anxiety probably) I'm not too bad at all.

That's very good to hear! I still feel some nodes about the place too! Not sure any of mine hurt though, not unless I touch them (which I'm trying not to). But they're all small, and I had my other appointment and let the doctor know all the things still troubling me including the nodes. Said they're still not concerned about them because they're small, not growing etc. etc.

I know that worrying feeling all too well right now! I had a shoulder ache the other day, so obviously it was impending heart attack and not just because I was laying/sitting funny.

I've had one of those! Well 2 to be precise, front and side. They didn't find anything concerning and that was at the height of my virus (when I ended up in ER!) and also the biggest period of crud coughing too. So if anything they will probably find even less now I would imagine.

Got a new med to try for my anxiety too, so will be giving that a try and see how I get on! Will report back with any news for sure.
    Good I'm glad you're feeling better overall I think those last little things can be really annoying but it could just be the anxiety itself, I found a looong list on here of symptoms it can cause and I was shocked at the sheer amount of stuff! Which helps as a reminder that not everything has an evil cause! Hope the last bits of it fade soon

My temperature thing and sweating made another appearance again this week, but I have so much stress from some exam deadlines that I think it may be related! Keeping an eye out to see if it will go away when i'm on vacation!

I still have the chest discomfort and noticed my lips look a bit funny (pale/bruisy?) so I went to the doctor again. He said it's nothing to worry about, the chest thing is muscular and the rest is from anxiety/not breathing properly. I am working on the chest with my physio and will get an x-ray privately and will keep you updated!

Also, therapy has been helping too, apparently there were more problems as to why I was panicky than I thought!

Quote Originally Posted by mare serenitatis View Post
    I’m going on 9 weeks of what seems like the exact same thing. I just had a baby, so I feel like my immune system is shot. I’m also terrified it could be lymphoma! I feel like I’m so slowly getting better, but had a back track because somehow I’ve caught strep!

Hi! I'm really sorry you're going through this too, it's a terrible thing! I do think low immunity has something to do with it, and it definitely can be the case with a new baby and the lack of sleep etc. Have you seen a doctor about it all? Oh no, strep on top of that must be a lot to deal with! Be sure to get as much rest as possible and maybe a multivitamin, those 2 things help me massively. Hope you feel better soon and keep us posted!

Sorry just noticed you'd be having an oncology appointment so obviously you've seen a doc! How did that go? I'm glad your situation is at least being seen to, I constantly fear lymphoma too but no one bats an eyelid when you're 25 here.. hugs
    Last edited by Sabbine17; 11-08-18 at 16:38. Reason: Just saw your other posts mare serenitalis sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by mare serenitatis View Post
    I知 going on 9 weeks of what seems like the exact same thing. I just had a baby, so I feel like my immune system is shot. I知 also terrified it could be lymphoma! I feel like I知 so slowly getting better, but had a back track because somehow I致e caught strep!

Definitely!

I think my main bad spell was 3 months in total. You mentioning lymphoma sounds very familiar to me! I thought the same thing at one point, but it's definitely not that.

I think it's around 6 months now since it all started, and my last niggling worry/symptom is the cold/hot sensitivity thing still.

The only thing I can think of, is that it's some kind of mono/gf-like virus, because I had all the classic symptoms, except rather than fatigue I had elevated anxiety.

Pleased to hear you're doing better too!

---------- Post added at 16:20 ---------- Previous post was at 16:15 ----------

Good I'm glad you're feeling better overall I think those last little things can be really annoying but it could just be the anxiety itself, I found a looong list on here of symptoms it can cause and I was shocked at the sheer amount of stuff! Which helps as a reminder that not everything has an evil cause! Hope the last bits of it fade soon

My temperature thing and sweating made another appearance again this week, but I have so much stress from some exam deadlines that I think it may be related! Keeping an eye out to see if it will go away when i'm on vacation!

I still have the chest discomfort and noticed my lips look a bit funny (pale/bruisy?) so I went to the doctor again. He said it's nothing to worry about, the chest thing is muscular and the rest is from anxiety/not breathing properly. I am working on the chest with my physio and will get an x-ray privately and will keep you updated!

Also, therapy has been helping too, apparently there were more problems as to why I was panicky than I thought!
    Yeah it could just be anxiety Sabbine! But if I had anxiety pre-virus, why did I never get it then though? That's my only question really. I mean I'm naturally anxious/hyper, but apart from heart palps and the odd dizzy spell, I've never had any of these other symptoms before. I just dunno lol!

I wonder if our temperature problems are just the viruses lingering too, any thoughts on that? It's like my thermostat is off by 2*c or something.

I had funny looking lips at one point too lol. Not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroatGoat View Post

Yeah it could just be anxiety Sabbine! But if I had anxiety pre-virus, why did I never get it then though? That's my only question really. I mean I'm naturally anxious/hyper, but apart from heart palps and the odd dizzy spell, I've never had any of these other symptoms before. I just dunno lol!

I wonder if our temperature problems are just the viruses lingering too, any thoughts on that? It's like my thermostat is off by 2*c or something.

I had funny looking lips at one point too lol. Not a good look.
    I know what you mean, never had any of that becore either and god knows I知 anxious! Just trying to find reasons that could make sense given that whatever this is, it has affected our immune systems and combined with stress might have created other reactions etc.

It could well be yeah, we need to get rid of this fast! Thermostat being iut of whack is such a good description

I値l be sure to post about any updates here, I知 trying to get over this whole thing but nagging thoughts are difficult to shake off sometimes..oh well

ATB

I know what you mean, never had any of that becore either and god knows I’m anxious! Just trying to find reasons that could make sense given that whatever this is, it has affected our immune systems and combined with stress might have created other reactions etc.

It could well be yeah, we need to get rid of this fast! Thermostat being iut of whack is such a good description

I’ll be sure to post about any updates here, I’m trying to get over this whole thing but nagging thoughts are difficult to shake off sometimes..oh well

ATB
    Exactly this!

I read somewhere that it could take 6 months to get over a virus, so I'm right around that point now. I think you were the same time as me almost?

There also seems to be a lot of people who get mono/gf who still have problems after a year too, so maybe there's still a way to go. (Not that I've had that, but it's another virus).

Last time I had a thing like this, I think it was 3 months. But I was younger, and it probably wasn't as nasty a virus.

Sounds good, would love to hear how you're doing! I've got another appointment in a couple weeks, so will check back and post an update then for sure too.

I forgot to mention the sweating didn't I?

When this first started, I noticed I had night sweats and was extra sweaty during the day too, I frankly stunk!

The day time excess sweating seems to have abated, but I keep waking up sweaty pretty frequently.

I haven't had "drenching" night sweats, aka the symptom of Lymphoma (swollen tonsils is the concern here), but I had a nap yesterday and awoke in a fairly sticky state.

I also feel pretty weak at the moment too, but nowhere as bad as when I ended up in the ER.

Apart from the swollen tonsils, 5 doctors have checked my nodes and seem unconcerned by them, so I guess I should be too!

The sweats are still worrying me though. Anyone experienced these for an extended period of time from a viral infection?

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information