Thread: Please Help: Really Struggling - Feel Like I Cant Cope

Angry Please Help: Really Struggling - Feel Like I Cant Cope

Hi everyone,

I am so scared that I have a brain tumor or possible early onset dementia.

I know this sounds ridiculous; but I am struggling so so much and can barely hold it together.

My symptoms are:

Feeling distant
    Struggling to remember little things
    Feeling like I cant focus on anything
    Tingling feelings in my head
    Feeling like I dont know what I'm doing
    Feeling like I sometimes cant find the right words when I'm speaking
    Mild headaches / aching around brows

I have recently lost quite a lot of weight... since January. I have been on a diet (cutting calories by reducing snacks etc) but I'm also paranoid that my weight loss isnt due to my dietary changes and is due to something more sinister.

I had a full blood count blood test about 4 weeks ago which came back fine along with a liver function test that came back fine. This was for something unrelated to this current anxiety.

I havent been to the doctor because I know they probably won't take me seriously.

Can someone here that understands me please try and help...

Sorry to ramble

Re: Please Help: Really Struggling - Feel Like I Cant Cope

Hey darthvader

You're not alone. I understand you completely.

Like you, I'm going through something very similar, albeit yours is that beginning of how my spiral began.

I had every one of your symptoms as well as 24/7 twitching all over the body. It kinda started at the end of Jan, but that was chest/stomach pains, but progressed into something neurological mid Feb. I initially thought it might be ALS or MS due to the said twitching, but It eventually became one of my biggest fears, a brain tumor.

It perhaps spiraled much quicker due to the fact my dad died of it when I was 19. I helped my mum home care for him so I know what it can do to someone. It's always been something that's a bit anxiety ever since.

I was utterly convinced it was a brain tumor. So much so that I began trying to make my peace with the world, as crazy as that sounds.

Now I won't even bother saying to try to stay calm, take it easy, because I know that's something you feel is impossible now. I would say to get back into contact with your GP. Explain to them your symptoms and the issues it's causing you. Hopefully you'll ease your own mind. If not, then hopefully he/she will put you in for an mri like myself. Seeing is believing. Just be patient with it. I made the mistake in forcing an unnecessary CT scan on myself, even though I had an mri booked, and that's where my now-present problems began..

I'm sure it's nothing, and it's most likely a reaction to your dieting. I've done something similar in the past and it left me like a zombie for a couple of months. The body is delicate when it comes to dietary changes. Make sure you're getting enough salts and carbs. Those can cause havoc with cognitive impairment when you're not having the amount you need. Which is something usually low when first starting a diet.

I hope you find your answers/relief soon.

Thanks for your response Kopesy. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through something similar... its a horrible thing because its impossible to reason with yourself when you are experiencing very real and physical symptoms.

If these symptoms weren't here, I wouldn't be concerned about it. The difficulty for me is knowing how much of my symptoms are anxiety related and how much are symptoms that are a result of some sort of health issue - be it a minor issue or something more serious.

I guess the brain tumor side of things is less of a concern to me right now - as I haven't been experiencing bad headaches... just frequent tension headaches (probably due to stress). I also had blood tests done recently...and whilst I know cancer doesnt show in blood tests, often there are markers or issues within your blood work that require further investigation if there is something there.

My bloods were all fine. The thing I'm really freaking out about is the idea of dementia or possibly MS. My mum died of MS recently after a battle with it over 2 decades.

I think what happens is - we experience some physical issues associated with a problem and then the health anxiety kicks in and magnifies that problem 1000x

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

what did your symptoms turn out to be?

I literally have ALL of those symptoms and more! This happened to me a few years back when anxiety started. I lost a ton of weight, feared that i had cancer, lost my appetite, and then lost MORE weight. I had tons of bloodwork and all was normal. Now i'm the opposite. Gained 30 pounds from trying different SSRI's which all increase my hunger and now worry that i might develop diabetes or high cholesterol. Today is the day that i take control of my food intake. I'm stress eating. Right now i fear that i have a blood clot in my lungs because i feel short of breath, even though i was just checked out by the doctor. I have virus causing me to feel unwell, which is triggering the anxiety. Look for a pattern, and i hope you feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by darthvader View Post
    Thanks for your response Kopesy. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through something similar... its a horrible thing because its impossible to reason with yourself when you are experiencing very real and physical symptoms.

If these symptoms weren't here, I wouldn't be concerned about it. The difficulty for me is knowing how much of my symptoms are anxiety related and how much are symptoms that are a result of some sort of health issue - be it a minor issue or something more serious.

I guess the brain tumor side of things is less of a concern to me right now - as I haven't been experiencing bad headaches... just frequent tension headaches (probably due to stress). I also had blood tests done recently...and whilst I know cancer doesnt show in blood tests, often there are markers or issues within your blood work that require further investigation if there is something there.

My bloods were all fine. The thing I'm really freaking out about is the idea of dementia or possibly MS. My mum died of MS recently after a battle with it over 2 decades.

I think what happens is - we experience some physical issues associated with a problem and then the health anxiety kicks in and magnifies that problem 1000x

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

what did your symptoms turn out to be?
    Exactly. The brain and the way it tries to deal with fears is something rather strange. It gives symptoms of your worst fears and it spirals :s

I'm really sorry to hear that your mum suffered, and for so long :(

Their prognosis was migraines. Which half makes sense. I think it was anxiety related myself. I remember thinking at the time of the onset with my head problems, that this has come about all rather coincidental with my other fears regarding my chest/stomach at the time. It didn't stop me going into full destructive mode and have a meltdown. Now I'm in a whole new world of worry!

I wish I'd remembered this site while I was going through it all, I'd probably not be in the position I am now were I had. Listen to other peoples stories and what they have to say to find some reassurance that it's not all too uncommon, and if you have to, patiently seek confirmation yourself.

All the best with it

Thread Information