Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should i stop

Should i stop

hi Everyone

I have generally led a great life but ocassionally suffer from obsessional worry which i feed on the internet, the last time this hit was 2014 and lasted months. It leads to anxiety and depression. In 2014 i just rode it out and plagued my wife for long chats every single night and other self help methods. GP wanted me to take effexor but i held off

This time we have a 2 year old child and my GP put me on zoloft which i have been on now for 7 weeks. I was getting better but have had a major relapse over the last few days and am now stuck in a worry cyclye about what happens if i get addicted to the zoloft, will i be on it for life, will i be able to taper in the future ? if i need it for life then what happens if i cant get it and these worries are causing a major relapse and feel physically ill and im as bad as ever. I feel like i am at breaking point, i go to a pyschologist also and that helps but only short term. Afterwards im back online causing myself more issues...

After 7 weeks, should these tablets be helping ? Im on 50 MG at the moment, going to see GP today and get a referral for a pyschiatrist as maybe they can reassure me. I have spent all day today online obsessing and most of this week.

Can you guys give me any info on this and maybe give me some rational answers to the worries above ? I would never go cold turkey on the tablets and would taper really slowly with them but i worry that if i stay on them then ill never be happy or well enough to come off them because of the worry they cause me , but if i do stop them then my worry will probably jump on to something else

Please help

Re: Should i stop

Zoloft is an SSRI anti depressant which you should be able to stay on for at least 6 months or longer. Antidepressants are not addictive ie (you can not become addictive to them). However, when you are feeling better the Dr will lower the dose (50 mgs isn't that high) so that you will not loose the effect of the drug.

Why are you worrying about becoming addicted to Zoloft, when you are feeling so much better? Of course you are going to make yourself feel worse if you stress about things (any things that aren't real)!

If you were on a benzodiazepine, you'd have cause to be worried but you aren't.

You need to relax and STOP worrying about the antidepressant and let it do it's job. Seven weeks is no time at all and sometimes you don't feel the full effect of the med till 12 weeks. It may be possible that you need to go onto a higher dose of Zoloft. Also I don't know why you don't believe your Dr when he tells you it's not addictive? They psych is only going to tell you the same thing, or maybe put you on a higher dose of a different antidepressant.

Really, I now you're depressed but you were feeling much better before you allowed this unfounded fear to creep into you life. Take it easy and RELAX and let the med do it's job.

Thanks but i am constantly reading stories on line about zoloft withdrawel and how difficult it is and i am now in a terrible worry cycle that i dont feel able to resolve unless i stop the meds

But what will happen if i stop the meds - i worry that ill sink deeper into a depression and i will have no safety net

What if i have to stay on them for a few years and then suffer all the terrible withdrawl symptoms that you read about online . Im terrifed

One of the best things I did was force myself to stay off the internet and trust my doctor. You need to use your will to stay off the net. It just feeds your endless worry loop. When the thought comes into your mind to check the internet try saying no and taking some deep breaths.

thanks but im finding it so difficult.

My wife said she wont support coming off the medication and if i do it and fall backwards then i will have to leave the house.

I have this little feeling in me that says i can come off it now and be ok ? Is that an irrational part of me saying that ?

I am so petrified of being one of the people that has debilitating effects when coming off the tablets. I just dont see how its possible for me to stay on the meds without constantly worrying about them.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

look at these stories ! I cant take this ....

https://www.madinamerica.com/2017/08...awal-symptoms/

Hi We really cant advise dosage/med changes I go to PSGM via my local mental health charity. one of the things that we learn any changes to medications must be done via the prescriber (Dr) and not off forums etc. It does seem a bit harsh what your wife says sort of bordering on emotional black mail a bit. Have a talk to your Dr/Psyhc you made need a different med or different dose some ppl say it can take 2 months+ to start really working. But Wouldn't just come off them with out advice from a medically trained professional let us know how you get on ATB

yeah but its coming off the tablet that i am worried about . The stories out there are horrible

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikGdsq2SDI

looks like these things cause brain damage

Quote Originally Posted by sunriseeveryday View Post
    yeah but its coming off the tablet that i am worried about . The stories out there are horrible[COLOR="blue"]

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

looks like these things cause brain damage
    Again stay off the internet. I have come off of 3 different SSRIs over the years and it was fine. The negative stories online are the ones that stick out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Anxietyslayer View Post
    Again stay off the internet. I have come off of 3 different SSRIs over the years and it was fine. The negative stories online are the ones that stick out.

What dose did you come off and how long did you taper for ?

Quote Originally Posted by sunriseeveryday View Post
    What dose did you come off and how long did you taper for ?

Most recent was 20mg lexapro. Decreased 5mg each week over 4 weeks

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information