Thread: Xrays

Xrays

I have just recently had an abdominal xray - it has sent my anxiety sky high, worrying re radiation..
    I am 56 and had adenoids removed as a child ( 6 years old) so xrays for that
    various dental procedures that required xrays over the years
    2 chest xrays in my thirties as I had a nodule on one -so second xray was to check it had not got any bigger
    2 kidney xrays
    2 mammograms .

The last/latest has sent my anxiety levels through the roof..

Should I be worrying so much?

Re: Xrays

No, you shouldn't lol

That's not a huge number of xrays over a lifetime and - as I said on another thread about exactly this yesterday - there is low level environmental radiation occuring around us all the time. So, what you'd get from one standard xray might be the same as you experience naturally in a few months just living your life.

Of course they say there is a small potential risk (incidentally I've had radiotherapy and many scans so have had a hugely larger dose that you) with developing cancers in later life from high radiation doses, however, you have had very low dose radiation xrays by the sound of it. They carry negligible risk having the ones done you have written about. Also, you need to weigh up the fact that you needed those scans/xrays at the time, for medical reasons, so would it have been better to not have them and face the consequences of a problem with your health ?

Thank you Carys for your reassuring words...I hope that you are well now, its kind of you to reply and appreciated ..I do worry terribly ..

Hi there

That is not a lot to be honest.

You get more radiation flying than scans.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi As Carys says this is very few X-Rays over a very long period of time absolutely nothing to worry about. Move on from it ATB

Thank you so much for replying reassuring me - know I may sound crazy to some people, but with age and living alone my anx goes into overdrive ..

Thread Information