Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't swallow briefly

Can't swallow briefly

I've had this for years - it's where I go to swallow but it feels like the muscles in my throat freeze. I cannot swallow for 2 seconds. Then the reflex comes back.

Recently, it's been happening for a few seconds, and seems longer. I'm worried about brain stem tumours.

Does anyone else have this?

Re: Can't swallow briefly

I'm no doctor but if you've had it for years and it was serious, you'd be ill by now I would have thought?
    The swallowing thing is a classic anxiety symptom.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioGaGa View Post
    I've had this for years - it's where I go to swallow but it feels like the muscles in my throat freeze. I cannot swallow for 2 seconds. Then the reflex comes back.

Recently, it's been happening for a few seconds, and seems longer. I'm worried about brain stem tumours.

Does anyone else have this?
    Brainstem tumours are incredibly rare, even more so in adults.

Also their symptoms are literally the most devastating of all brain tumours and come on very quickly (not years, weeks, even days) I could elaborate in much more detail as to why this is impossible but I'd rather you just trust me on this one.

Yep, have it often. Classic anxiety symptom.

I thought it was just me that had this!!

With me, I’ll sometimes go to swallow but the reflex won’t happen and I’ll keep trying but it’s like the muscles are just refusing to work. Sometimes it happens for a good few seconds and I begin to panic because I think my swallowing reflex has ceased completely, then I’ll swallow and feel a huge relief. It is quite scary!! I honestly think every time that I won’t ever swallow again.

Quote Originally Posted by Alisha Fearer View Post
    I thought it was just me that had this!!

With me, I’ll sometimes go to swallow but the reflex won’t happen and I’ll keep trying but it’s like the muscles are just refusing to work. Sometimes it happens for a good few seconds and I begin to panic because I think my swallowing reflex has ceased completely, then I’ll swallow and feel a huge relief. It is quite scary!! I honestly think every time that I won’t ever swallow again.
    This is exactly what happens to me, its the most weird and scary feeling in the world, sometimes also happens when i have a drink or food and end up choking momentarily.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for the replies everyone. I know it sounds stupid, but reassurance always helps me.

Why it panicked me the other night so much is because it lasted about 5 seconds instead of the usual two. But I was drinking alcohol so maybe this made it worse.

But yes it’s the weirdest feeling ever - it’s literally like you’re throat has stopped working!! Amazingly, posts regarding this are scarce online
    Last edited by RadioGaGa; 01-05-18 at 17:06. Reason: Grammatical error

Here's a test: When you "can't swallow" apply one single drop of water to your tongue. You will be able to swallow. What is happening is you're constantly swallowing to and making the back of your throat dry and your body won't activate your tongue because it's too dry. Do you happen to smoke cigarettes?

I know this is a really old thread, but I read it after the same happened to me tonight.
    I was happily eating my dinner and the food was at the back of my tongue ‘ready’, but it was like my swallow had frozen. For what felt like ages, I couldn’t activate my swallow. I panicked, then managed to swallow and finish dinner. However, it’s left me feeling very anxious. I have an ongoing fear of certain diseases and have been working hard to work on my anxiety, but this has set me back. I’ve noticed it’s happened a couple of times recently but tonight it felt worse. I think the fact that it happened while I was relaxed has added to my fears. I’ve had globus issues in the past with the feeling of ‘lump in the throat’ and can cope with that. But the feeling that my swallow reflex isn’t working or that something is causing it to fail is really worrying me.

Sarah x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information